• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best colour profiles for paper, banner, canvas

reklamdizains

Hello!
I'm looking for best colour profiles for paper, banner, canvas. I have Mutoh Spitfire 65, running Onyx RipCenter 6.5..
What profiles are you using?
Asking, becouse quite dark colors in my prints..

Paulis

The 'best' media profiles are those that are built on your own machine, by knowledgable operators.

Barring that, the next 'best' option are canned profiles that you download from various sources (RIP and media manufacturers etc), and are built for your specific printer model, RIP, resolution, and print media.

Finally, if your name is Bob from Earth, or one of his minions, just use the same one for all medias, as it really does not matter anyway in the grand scheme of things.

soypaul

Have you tried to use colorimetry changes? It worked for me, try saturation dor 720 and relative for 1440

ironchef

I still dont understand what the relative, saturation, etc. Options are. Anyone, please enlighten me

sfr table hockey

Hello!
I'm looking for best colour profiles for paper, banner, canvas. I have Mutoh Spitfire 65, running Onyx RipCenter 6.5..
What profiles are you using?
Asking, becouse quite dark colors in my prints..

Paulis

Depending on what ink you use may help in what profiles to use. Most times you can't use one companys profile for their ink on another brand of ink. Even on plug and play you can see changes once you make your own profile. To make your own profiles can cost $1000 plus to buy the right tools.

Although like Bob, I have been able to use one profile on many media however if you have the equipment and make a profile for each you do get better results and most times it's more the amount of ink that gets put down on that media. If you used one profile and printed on 5 different media the same red square, you would likely see 5 slightly different colors. Bigger changes would show where the white of the media is noticeably whiter.

Last edited:

sfr table hockey

I still dont understand what the relative, saturation, etc. Options are. Anyone, please enlighten me

Perceptual, Relative Colorimetric, Saturation etc. deal with what they do with color when color values are outside their color space.

I think this is close to how to describe things.

So with Perceptual if one color (lets say a red) is outside the available color space it will bump that red back to fit it into that space but doing so also bumps all the other colors back the same amount as well to keep the over all picture looking the same with color shift. Always use with photos.

With Saturation (I think) it will bump all colors to the max no matter what the other color did so you will get the max out of you color, all on the edge of your color space but for a photo, may not look like a good photo if you used it for one. When using on a layout you may find brighter better color that looks good and you are not matching any color in particular. You would never use with photos.

So each one does something to its own that may go better with the layout you print.

As a rule bitmaps or photos always have Perceptual and the rest Relative.

I read this a long while back and can see if I can dig up the web page.

ironchef

Sweet. Thanks a bunch. I was told to use relative for solid colors/letters. Just didn't know what the rest meant. And on rasterlink it gives me an option to pick all those options for both illustration and graphics. These rips are some smart cookies