• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Computer for designing??

CanuckSigns

Just a word of warning, i have has SSD's less than 2 years old fail on me without any warning at all, If you are saving files long term make sure you use some type of server with backups, we have a server for all our files, and the Workstations only have the OS and programs we run, if 1 goes down I can have it replaced in a couple hours.

Also a good idea to have an extra PC with your OS loaded on it ready to go in case one of your PC's go down in the middle of a big order.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Funny you're mentioning about failing SSD's....Im backing up ALL my startup drives today on ALL my Computers. Mac's and Windows machines all being done currently. If something goes awry, I have a clone of the drive to get back up and running quickly.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I'd say buy a mac. Any old mac, even one that's 10 years old will outperform any PC ever made. Ever.

BAHAHAHA

No but really, there has been alot of good advice so far.

Johnny Best

Last time I mentioned a Mac they were tar and feathering me. I have always used Macs and have been very pleased. In fact I am going to buy one before the end of the year, the newer ones with the new chips and not the Intel ones. I use the 15" Powerbook Pro now and will get the same thing.

Reveal1

I think many sign folks are naturally geeky. We like drooling over the latest equipment and obsessing over specifications that really have very little real world benefit to our business. I've built many PCs just for fun. But my logical side reminds me I'm running a business, and favors a pre-built, warranted mid-level commercial grade machine (like the Dell Precision line someone mentioned) that I can replace every three or four years.

WildWestDesigns

Last time I mentioned a Mac they were tar and feathering me. I have always used Macs and have been very pleased. In fact I am going to buy one before the end of the year, the newer ones with the new chips and not the Intel ones. I use the 15" Powerbook Pro now and will get the same thing.

I don't know if this was the last time or not, but if it was in my thread, it was mainly due to the ancillary comments that you made and not directly related to Mac itself, the thread did have an anti Mac subject to it but the main grief you got was due to ancillary comments (at least as far as I was concerned).

I was thinking that as far as laptops go the first ones were the 13" that were going ARM? Has that changed to include the 15" version as well? My knowledge is based on what was mentioned back in June, so that could have changed.

I have no love for Macs for various reasons, have no love for Windows and Android and various other services that I once used and no longer use. At least not the traditional "name brand" ones that everyone thinks about right off the bat. But you use whatever you want to use, need to use, etc.

OADesign

Good morning,

I am just seeing if anyone has any good links to places that have great computer set-ups for typical complex graphic designs. Some of these files we are working with are getting bigger and bigger and I was curious if there is a better option out there. I currently have HP Z series towers but I feel there is something better out there???????

Thanks is advance!

Happy Holidays!

You have a few ways to go.

1) Signburst.com (as others have mentioned). Having support on deck is golden. Especially if support is handled by the same guy that put together the machine. He is a member here. Great, patient, guy. I'm still running a version of his signburst-inferno I bought around 2010, I think. Also, he is familiar with the Sign/Graphics Industry. Not just a geeksquad tech. (No slight against those guys)

2) Pugetsystems.com - Systems built for your specific needs. Tailored to get you the most power for your specific use case.

*3) Research and build yourself: Its a really weird time right now for cutting edge hardware. But you can find really good deals on current/last gen tech and get a great system built in no time. Can't say it enough though: DO YOUR RESEARCH. And then, DO IT AGAIN. And again. Try not to fall too far down the rabbit hole. Get what you need. Commit to the decision. Build it. Go make your money back. Rinse. Repeat.
There are a ton of great virtual system builders that will compile and price systems for you based on a couple tick boxes. Pros and cons to each. But if you DO YOUR REASEARCH, you will be fine. I like PC Part picker. First because I'm familiar with the site. And Second, there is an active community behind it that shares opinions, experiences AND photos + step by steps notes of their builds. Very valuable.
Here is one I built with my son this weekend. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wYKBht Ignore the prices because I am a sale hunter. And for some stuff I might pay more because its available right now.

Some additional notes for you:
Everyone is going to have an opinion about this and that. There are only 3 that matter. Yours. Your business'. And your wallet's. (Well there may by a wife or an accountant in there some where)
Right now, current gen GPUs are like Silver and Gold during the rush. You may have to bash the scaplers with your shovel to get new tech or settle for last seasons tin. Do your research and that analogy will make sense.
And lastly, Gaming PC Design PC (It can be. But its not the end all be all.)

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Also, CPU speed is more important than the number of cores for what we do. Graphic design doesn't rely heavily on the graphics card either so don't spend a ton unless you want to play games on it.

In my opinion, a good big monitor, and if you don't have a spare, a cheap second monitor will pay for itself in productivity. A big ultra-widescreen monitor will minimize the number of times you have to zoom in and out. The second helps productivity. You can have your emial open, file manager, or do research on the second.

Happy Holidays!

You have a few ways to go.

1) Signburst.com (as others have mentioned). Having support on deck is golden. Especially if support is handled by the same guy that put together the machine. He is a member here. Great, patient, guy. I'm still running a version of his signburst-inferno I bought around 2010, I think. Also, he is familiar with the Sign/Graphics Industry. Not just a geeksquad tech. (No slight against those guys)

2) Pugetsystems.com - Systems built for your specific needs. Tailored to get you the most power for your specific use case.

*3) Research and build yourself: Its a really weird time right now for cutting edge hardware. But you can find really good deals on current/last gen tech and get a great system built in no time. Can't say it enough though: DO YOUR RESEARCH. And then, DO IT AGAIN. And again. Try not to fall too far down the rabbit hole. Get what you need. Commit to the decision. Build it. Go make your money back. Rinse. Repeat.
There are a ton of great virtual system builders that will compile and price systems for you based on a couple tick boxes. Pros and cons to each. But if you DO YOUR REASEARCH, you will be fine. I like PC Part picker. First because I'm familiar with the site. And Second, there is an active community behind it that shares opinions, experiences AND photos + step by steps notes of their builds. Very valuable.
Here is one I built with my son this weekend. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wYKBht Ignore the prices because I am a sale hunter. And for some stuff I might pay more because its available right now.

Some additional notes for you:
Everyone is going to have an opinion about this and that. There are only 3 that matter. Yours. Your business'. And your wallet's. (Well there may by a wife or an accountant in there some where)
Right now, current gen GPUs are like Silver and Gold during the rush. You may have to bash the scaplers with your shovel to get new tech or settle for last seasons tin. Do your research and that analogy will make sense.
And lastly, Gaming PC Design PC (It can be. But its not the end all be all.)

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Just so long as it isn't the Verge's PC Build video.

I was both dumbfounded and amused when I saw that video... how one person can get nearly everything wrong and supposedly be in the industry is amazing.
There's a great supercut of reactions from famous PC part reviewers getting around as well if want to share a laugh.

Reveal1

Also, CPU speed is more important than the number of cores for what we do. Graphic design doesn't rely heavily on the graphics card either so don't spend a ton unless you want to play games on it.

In my opinion, a good big monitor, and if you don't have a spare, a cheap second monitor will pay for itself in productivity. A big ultra-widescreen monitor will minimize the number of times you have to zoom in and out. The second helps productivity. You can have your emial open, file manager, or do research on the second.

Both good points. Adobe CS makes some use of the graphics processor, but the robust CPU along w/ disk read/write speed (SSD) will pay the biggest dividends. And get a large 4K monitor with 90%+ adobe color accuracy along with an i1 calibrator. 4K improves detail and having the confidence that you and maybe your customer can depend on the color rendered on the screen is good for business. In fact, we have an identical color corrected monitor on our RIP machine.

WildWestDesigns

I think many sign folks are naturally geeky.

I think sign people are tinkerers, not so much "geeks", some are sure, but I think most of the "many" that you reference are actually tinkerers.

In all honesty, I would like to see a little bit more "geeky" coming from more of the power users. And by power users, I'm talking about people that use more specialized software (not necessarily Adobe, but RIP software, CNC software etc), I think that they should be more geeky and more into their tools, I would argue not just on the hardware side, but the software side as well. Although, it's hard when on a platform (Win/Mac) that doesn't really want to encourage that and actually goes to lengths to abstract that away from the user unless they just really really want to go at it.

I was both dumbfounded and amused when I saw that video... how one person can get nearly everything wrong and supposedly be in the industry is amazing.

In a lot of industries, there are people that shouldn't be doing it, they don't care about it, some actually actively hate that industry, but they are there, because they have a built in audience (due to who they work for) in order to use whatever business that they are in as a "platform" to disseminate what they truly believe.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Love coming to "pc recommendation" threads and seeing people recommend brand names rather than actual specs.
You can buy any brand you want. With out the right specs, your PC wont be right for you.

If you want a company that sell specific build PCs/work stations. Then i'd suggest Puget Systems - https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/index.php
Just click though and find the software you primarily use. and go from there.

FYI, most higher end PCs have similar specs. The biggest difference from some software will be how powerful your graphics card needs to be.

Bottom line,
You'll need an 8 core CPU (intel i7 or i9, AMD 5800 or higher)
32GB ram
A Graphics card - Almost any will do the job (most will come with an RTX2060 / RTX3060 as a minimum which is more than enough)
SSD/NVME storage.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I'd say buy a mac. Any old mac, even one that's 10 years old will outperform any PC ever made. Ever.

come on, firesprint. goinh a little overboard.

thrn you go home atvend of dsy, and watch your movieson the old betamax, because everyone knows it was better, too

(sorry, a little industry humor from the old days)

BAHAHAHA

No but really, there has been alot of good advice so far.