• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best computer setup

Che

There is your problem off the top, your using a dell for graphics? why would you use a dell? you should look into something else like a custom built Sony.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would get an Intel Mac when Adobe CS3 comes out....I heard the beta of Photoshop is coming out soon......yeeeehaaaaaa!!!

2NinerNiner2

Attachments

• ulti_mac.jpg
    ulti_mac.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

james2

It seems I got everyone's wish list for a system.
I am a PC guy and don't need to fly to the moon with my computer,
so I was just wondering what system people would suggest for me in my situation. How about $2,000? what system would that get me?
thanks!

Derf

If I hit the Powerball I would not need a PCU! only a big Drink and a plane ticket to any ware tropical

james2

would that cover the really big files I am working with?
for example: 1.73 GB file 21600 x 14400 96" x 144"

Also would like to be able to have different programs open at the same time,
etc etc.

thanks!
jim

2NinerNiner2

I can't speak from experience with the latest Mac setups that I mentioned, but have no doubt that you would be able to because I can speak from experience from the following scenario.

When I bought my VersCAMM system just over two years ago, there were, of course, no Intel Macs; Virtual PC was basically 'it' if you wanted to run Windows on a Mac ... and I really did because the new (at the time) iMacs were just too cool! (OK, so my old Mac-a-holism is showing :) So I went with the requisite PC box for that, but I did get a 14" iMac laptop with 768MB of RAM ... and Virtual PC ...I just HAD to try it! Loaded up CorelDRAW 12 and Roland's ColoRIP and printed an 850MB file! Now, it was slower than molasses in January, and could in no way be used in a production environment, but the point of the exercise was proven: it worked! So with the new Core 2 Duo Intel Macs and Parallels' software that lets you use both the Mac OS and any other ones you may want (any flavour of Windows, Linux, O/S Warp(why?)), at the same time, this is what my next system will be...but I'd go for the 24" version :) (once you've used one, nothing else will do :)

Last edited:

Chad.

why anyone would fork out that much money for a dell blows my mind. Not to mention when you have a problem and have to talk to someone in india using vonage where you can barely hear or understand them.

I today bought $2,300 in parts from new egg to build my own machine, which dells comparison price (built to the specs of the parts i ordered) was over $4000.

It takes about an hour to build a pc once you have all the parts, and another 45 minutes to install the OS ... well worth saving $2,000.

Derf

would that cover the really big files I am working with?
for example: 1.73 GB file 21600 x 14400 96" x 144"

Also would like to be able to have different programs open at the same time,
etc etc.

thanks!
jim

No problem! I have a 2 x 1.8GHz G5 with 2 gig of ram and it rips files faster than my Athlon 6400 with 2gigs of ram.

So I'm sure a 2.1GHz Dual-Core Intel G5 would whoop ass all over my 1.8 G5.

Or pony up and get a,

Refurbished Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz
Two dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processors
1.25GHz frontside bus per processor
1MB L2 cache per core
512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB GDDR SDRAM

Original price: $3,849.00
Your price: $3,299.00

All of my MAC's have been Referbs. and I've never had a problem because they have been through QA twice!

Had a hard time trying to match this at newegg

why anyone would fork out that much money for a dell blows my mind. Not to mention when you have a problem and have to talk to someone in india using vonage where you can barely hear or understand them.

I today bought $2,300 in parts from new egg to build my own machine, which dells comparison price (built to the specs of the parts i ordered) was over $4000.

It takes about an hour to build a pc once you have all the parts, and another 45 minutes to install the OS ... well worth saving $2,000.

Qty Item ID Description Unit Price Amount
1 1 Brand New Dell XPS 700 Jet Black Fighting Machine 2,423.90 2,423.90
1 2 Intel® Core™2 Extreme processor x6800 (2.93GHz, 4MB Cache) 0.01 0.01
1 3 Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 0.01 0.01
1 4 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 0.01 0.01
1 5 250GB Serial ATA (SATA) Hard Drive (7200RPM) 0.01 0.01
1 6 DUAL 512MB nVidia GeForce 7900GTX Video Cards in SLI 0.01 0.01
1 7 16x DVD±RW Drive & 16x DVD-Rom Drive 0.01 0.01
1 8 Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music 0.01 0.01
1 9 Dell USB Keyboard & Dell USB 2 Button Mouse 0.01 0.01
1 10 FULL 1 Year On-Site Manufacturer Warranty from Dell (until Dec 2007!) 0.01 0.01
Subtotal: 2,423.99

I am a PC guy and don't need to fly to the moon with my computer,
so I was just wondering what system people would suggest for me in my situation

In all seriousness, what you already have with more memory will do the job. What is more important is to ensure that you have a good system for backing up your files. You should have two backup copies of everything that is important, on top of the files that you have to work with.

All the other stuff is nice but it is not necessary to do what you will be doing. Just by adding as much memory as you can you will see a noticable difference.

iSign

TECHNOGEEK101 IS DOWN THE HALL...

I'll make the $2000 on a few signs in no time so I can afford to spend my time becoming a better business man & a better sign designer, not learning my vendors trades, to cut them out.

It's not what goes into the box of wires on my desk that sets me apart... it's what comes out of it. Any computer is capable of way more magical stuff then I would ever need, so I don't sweat the details... it's just a tool, not my identity.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I would personally build a box again. Instead of the 3.0gb drives I would stick with the raptors....10k spindles and a faster seek, read and write. Im using an AMD x2 4600 i think...and its great. Only bottleneck i get is when im ripping files in one particular way called "smooth Blends" on my Colorburst rip. Otherwise it chews through anything fast.