• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Computer to use for Work Station

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Mosh we don't have Wal-Marts here
do they keep the PCs, ammo and beer in the same isle at the store?

wayne k
guam usa

choucove

For $700 I can build you a computer twice as powerful as anything you'll pick up for Wal-Mart and last you six times longer - guaranteed. Lol, I don't know how many customers I've come across that do this, actually. Do you realize how much you pay over the course of the average lifetime of a good computer? At Wal-Mart especially you are usually purchasing the items that normally are close-outs from the actual OEM because they are several generations of technology behind. At least with other stores like Best Buy they keep relatively up to date with equipment generations at the same price. If you want to save your money for ammo and beer, I highly recommend you listen to the experts and invest wisely on one good computer for $700 to last you three years than paying $4,200 for the same average lifespan of that single computer.

P.S. I'm hoping that Mosh's reply was actually a joke...

visual800

I certainly have no need in bashing guys that build for a living but what kills me is these"overpriced gaming computers" that are built. Graphics cards powerful enough to run the space shuttle, 30 fans in a water cooled case, which now probably take antifreeze and just for kicks lets throw a couple of neon tubes in there. PLEASE!!! STOP THE INSANITY

The quality of a computer is how its built and components used in building it. i personally think less is more. Computer all have the same cheap ass chinese components in them, dell, gateway, hp, asus. As many as I have cracked open they all have the same parts manufacturers in them. Choosing which parts is the key to a great workhorse computer. Do ya think Intel chipsets are made here in the US think again. computers are no diff than a car you can have a 4cyl monza or buy a formula one. the monza is fine for surfing web but dont expect it to run adobe illustrator

I think one of the largest contributor sto computer failure is bullsh*t that the manufacturer puts on them. lets take HP (one of my all time hated pcs) when i fix one of these it takes over 45 minutes for me just to delete the xtra BS software they load.

hp support
hp call numbers
hp print to web
hp tech support
hp memory card
hp printers
hp help files
OMG it goes on and on. i have found once i get rid of all this HP BS off a comp damn thing runs better, it can breathe!!! HP, KODAK, AVG and NORTON will overtake a computer with useless info. things like this will also choke a comp down. anytime I install software I always choose custom install cause I really dont think I need the help files in 20 other languages and a list of 71 more fonts loaded om my comp.

Take care of the comps and they will perform as you want them

WildWestDesigns

The quality of a computer is how its built and components used in building it. i personally think less is more. Computer all have the same cheap ass chinese components in them, dell, gateway, hp, asus. As many as I have cracked open they all have the same parts manufacturers in them. Choosing which parts is the key to a great workhorse computer. Do ya think Intel chipsets are made here in the US think again. computers are no diff than a car you can have a 4cyl monza or buy a formula one. the monza is fine for surfing web but dont expect it to run adobe illustrator

I'm not understanding something in your posts here. Your first post seems to outright think that custom builds aren't necessary and yet this paragraph especially seems to actually go in favor for custom builds. Now, I understand not wanting to go overboard, but there is nothing run with getting stuff that allows for future expansion, especially with a piece of equipment that(like cars) is outdated the moment you bring it home.

My dad does have a custom computer that requires it to be liquid cooled, it's actually design to be a server computer for several other computers. All he does is surf the web, watch streaming videos and write up contracts etc on his computer, certainly nothing to actually justify his choice in builds but for the bottomline that he wanted all of everything that he could get. Which he has already changed it to include 2 solid state drives as well. That thing takes less then 10 seconds to load and ready for you to operate(I'm not exaggerating as much as you think).

As to what's in bold. It is truly irrelevant as to where a part comes from. My iPod came from China and it has lasted a few years and still is going and going really well(use it a good bit each day), I certainly feel like I got what I paid out of it. I quickly scanned it again the thread again and I don't think anyone really brought that into question either(if you find where location of parts made was brought up, that's fine, I'll eat crow on this part). Cheap parts, inferior parts yes, but just because it comes from somewhere else doesn't in of itself make it cheap or inferior. Those chinese made iPods are usually higher priced then other MP3 players if using retail. Now do they last longer or not, I think that depends.

I agree with you on all the extra crap that isn't needed on computers that comes with them out of the box or on install of programs. However, some of that stuff is a pain to get off, expecially the newer versions of Norton that they put on "off the shelf" computers. That thing is tied up everywhere in the computer. You can also tweak the bios in order for it to run faster, however, why have to piddle with that stuff, when I can get the parts that I want(maybe not need mind you), from the different companies, tweak everything to how I want it without having to change settings that someone else put on there and make sure that it runs everything that I might throw at it.

signswi

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

If you have to buy OEM for some reason, there you go. Here's another tip: the only anti-virus you need is Microsoft Security Essentials, uninstall anything else. Want spyware/adaware protection/removal? Malware Bytes. Want a cache cleaner/registry cleaner? CCleaner. Anything else, don't use.

visual800

I dont recommend Microsoft for ANY help on removal and adding of anything!

Thats like the exterminator letting rats out a cage on the back your home and then running around front dressed in uniform to rid your home of rats. Microsoft cant do anything without bloating out your system. I dont even have updates running on my comps.

I dont use use IE and went to firefox, man what a difference! I have downloaded their Malicious Removal tool and it did nothing, malwarebytes however removed the virus. crapcleaner, malwarebytes, avast and hijack this ROCKS! spybot and adware used to rock but I dont see them on top anymore.

Things change I suppose

SignBurst PCs

Security Essentials consistently tests in the top of the free antivirals in detection, removal, and use of system resources. Also Firefox is old hat, chrome is insanely faster--FF 4 beta is much improved but still has a ways to go. Heck even IE9 beta is quite good, the days of IE6 are long gone.

http://lifehacker.com/5559102/micro...ds-unknown-malware-but-avoids-false-positives

I agree completely. Microsoft Security Essentials has come a long way. Like others, I was a bit skeptical of a MS antivirus and a free one at that. I don't get a lot of viruses or malware anyhow as I am pretty careful what I do and where I go on the Internet, but my friends and family are not as careful and their PCs get infected once in a while. I have been pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of MS Security Essentials in both detecting and removing malware. No anti-malware program is perfect, as they all have strengths and weaknesses, but in my experience, MS Security Essentials has done a more than adequate job compared to other free security software.

As for the Chrome thing, WOW. I installed it when it was initially released and have never looked back. It is extremely fast, especially with Flash objects. At first I had a few problems with browser incompatibilities, but now I rarely have problems. I can't stand to browse in IE or FF anymore.

Personally, I have never had a use for CC cleaner. I guess that I have been lucky enough to never suffer from anything that would require using it.

WildWestDesigns

Personally, I have never had a use for CC cleaner. I guess that I have been lucky enough to never suffer from anything that would require using it.

I don't know if I would technically need it, I just like cleaning out some stuff ever now and then in order to free up some RAM.

signswi

Technically it doesn't free up RAM, it frees up HD space as it cleans out temp files, cache files, etc. The registry cleaner does a decent job as well, too many uninstallers leave crap behind (Revo Uninstaller is a good app too). I just don't like a messy system.

It's also good to run before you defrag if you haven't moved to SSD hard drives yet.