Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best core for HDU hanging sign?

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by Handmadesignmaker, May 16, 2013.

1. Handmadesignmaker

Handmadesignmaker New Member

May 16, 2013
    Does anyone have advice on a 1/4"-1/2" core for an outdoor hanging sign. I want to glue up two pieces of Duna Board HDU with something sandwiched in between to provide strength and rigidity. Must have good cutting properties so that I can band saw and sand a custom shape out of the glued up parts. Must take chromatic primer/paint and hold up outdoors. I've worked with Extira in the past and I like it but I have to drive 2hrs to get it. My supplier carries Scooter Board by Woodcraft and I'm considering that. Any advice is appreciated. I just joined today, glad this forum is here. Thanks!

2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I would create an aluminum or steel inner framework

3. Handmadesignmaker

May 16, 2013
    Thanks. I need to be able to cut and sand it in a wood shop. I've seen that PVC sheets are best for this, but I don't want to deal with cutting and sanding pvc.

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
  5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Extira? Didn't have good luck with it myself. Wouldn't use scotterboard, no strength and real susceptible to water damage.

Since you want to use something that will work in a "wood shop" and you apparently know how to seal and finish things well (as Extira requires) I would use MDO.

6. Handmadesignmaker

May 16, 2013
    I made letters out of Extira. I primed them with Chromatic high build primer and I painted the letters with 1-Shot lettering enamels. The letters are attached to the side of a bus that drives around everyday. They have been out in the elements for 9 months now, driving around and they've held up great through an extremely wet winter.

7. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I would say to go to Nine Mile and get an order of Soon Come and a Red Stripe and worry about the sign another day. :smile:

Welcome to the site.

8. Handmadesignmaker

May 16, 2013
    Ahhh! Nine Mile is so good! How do you know Asheville? I guess you lived here or visited. Thanks.

9. Handmadesignmaker

May 16, 2013
    Scooter Board

Thanks Bill. Good to know the scooter board is not an option.

10. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Have some family out that direction. Nine Mile has some great food!