• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best cutting ruler? NOT ALUMINUM!

C

ColoPrinthead

I wasn't cutting into my old aluminum straight edges, they were flaking metal from the friction of the side of the blade after the painted coating wore off; I guess I should just free hand my cuts instead of appreciating steal edged rulers.

bannertime

!!! I bought something like this a few years ago, and i could not figure out where I got it! I want a smaller one, thank you so much for posting this!

They look like they're leagues better than the Sooper rulers. Are you able to confirm that?

FatCat

They look like they're leagues better than the Sooper rulers. Are you able to confirm that?

Now see, we've had one of those exact units for years (60-65") and it sits in a corner collecting dust. It does cut straight, but the knife cut isn't exactly on the edge so its like a 1/8" off. Plus, I find it awkward and heavy to move around the table when you have to make a lot of cuts, and I'm a big guy. Me and my staff prefer the Soopers with a good sharp Olfa, lightweight, easy to use, cuts straight and hold up very well to lots of use.

But I guess that's why we all come to Signs101 right? To share our knowledge and experience with others and hopefully gain the same. Some like Roland printers, some swear by Mimakis, I like Mutohs...whatever. I guess when people ask for the "best" tool or method to do something, it really depends on what's best for the actual end user and their preferences, eh? LOL

Roto

We cut our rulers out of 4.5mm clear acrylic on the router. Nice and straight and you can see through it.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Anything flat and straight works for me. It's all in how you hold your knife and visualize your cut. If you need something more accurate than that get a Fletcher.

Johnny Best

Maladroit! Good one bob. Had to look it up.
Word of the day. I hope all you maladroits are careful today with your cutting.