• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Etched Vinyl

nikdoobs

Hey guys,

Just looking for everyone's opinion on their etched or frosted vinyl of choice. Just left an install where we used 3M Dusted Crystal (acid etched look) and we had to remove all of the graphics because of bubbling. Tried wet & dry and both caused problems.

We've done some etched vinyl installs before with no problem but it was a different material. I read on a different thread that Hexis offers an air release etched vinyl that good some good reviews on here. Just looking to get some other opinions.

Thanks,
Nick

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have pretty good luck from Oracal 8510, I know it's Cal vinyl, but seems to work pretty well. I also use a product from Universal. I'm not sure of the numbers without looking, but I really like it, and I feel for fine detail, it cuts and weeds better. As far as wet or dry applications, I typically do dry, but when needed, I prefer rapid tac (the original) and let it dry overnight before pulling the mask off. On site installs, I generally grab rapid tac 2.

iegrafixs

We used to use the 3M Dusted Crystal but we were also having problems with it. We recently started using HEXIS etched glass (E3GIVM) we have had great results wet mounting so far & it's much cheaper than 3M. Sample pic attached of one we did a couple of days ago.

Attachments

• 20151207_160609.jpg
    20151207_160609.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20151207_160932.jpg
    20151207_160932.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 103

bobbiffxx

I've used Oracal and it's great. It's not Dusted and no silver in it. I think it's the best. It has a true etched look.

gabagoo

I find that 3M has done a great job of making their etched vinyl a spec item by architects..... how do you break the spec when they expect 3m? I have no idea why you would be getting bubbling but that is disturbing since I have a rather large job coming up that needs to be that particular brand....

nikdoobs

We used to use the 3M Dusted Crystal but we were also having problems with it. We recently started using HEXIS etched glass (E3GIVM) we have had great results wet mounting so far & it's much cheaper than 3M. Sample pic attached of one we did a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Do you order this directly from Hexis?

Chasez

We use 3M dusted Crystal all the time. We have done rolls upon rolls on single jobs and have no issues. If you're doing a wet app there may be bubbles at the beginning but will dry out (depending on the installer).

The one that we stock on a regular basis is KPMF Silver cast etch. By far the easiest material to work with, not too expensive, and always available. You can crumble a 4' x 8' sheet into a ball, pull it apart and put a heat gun on it for a few seconds and you could never tell that it was in a ball. Only thing is that it doesn't just pull off, has to be scrapped (like 3m Dusted Crystal).

Chaz

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have always used the 3M films and done wet installs. The installers hate it, but it is a quality product.
We recently did some testing with the MacTac air egress dusted and frosted films (which are also printable), and the installers loved it.
We may be making a switch soon.

bigben

MacTac, I think it is called befree, not quit sure. But it has air release. Installs pretty easy.

We use ton on frosted vinyls, since we've tried the mactac befree, we only use this one if the customer do not ask for a specific brand.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
+1 for Oracal 8510. I can almost apply that stuff dry with no issues, but still for good measure use rapid tac.