• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best fastener for brick wall install

Billct2

I have a large wall sign to install. 10'x32', 2x2 welded aluminum frame with dibond panels gled & screwed, built in three sections to be assmbled on site before lifting. The install is subbed out. I usually hire a sign installation company but they haven't been very reliable lately and the customer has a rigger that works at their facilty installing heavy equipment who will be doing the install.
Here's the question, I plan on using brackets fastened to the brick wall, 11 top & bottom, 3"x5"x.375" aluminum angle cut into 3" brackets.
When I used the sign installer they always used their own installtion hardware, seems like they used some type of tapcons usually. But in this case the rigger wants me to spec the fasteners. In doing a little research, tapcons don't seem appropriate.
An epoxy set fastener looks nice, but this has to be done soon, in sub freezing weather. So I'm thinking good old fashioned lags & shields, probably 3/8" or 1/2" x 3". The sign weighs less than 500 pounds so this would mean each bottom bracket would
carry less than 50lbs of weight. And with 22 brackets all together it would be held nice & tight.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

J Hill Designs

3/8" lag w/lead expanders seems like it will do the job nicely

I would say #14 SS screws into expanders would work too...its not that much weight

CanuckSigns

We had a small banner we installed on 2 poles on the side of a clients building using traditional lags bolts and lead sleves, we got a phone call 2 days later that the wind had pulled the brackets right out of the wall, we went back and it turns out that the street is a huge wind tunnel. We used these http://www.concretefasteners.com/anchors-fasteners/sleeve/index.aspx and it's still holding strong 3 years later.

the nice thing about these is the more force that is put against them, the tighter they grip.

Billct2

Those sleeve anchors look nice, and the bracket clears the frame with plenty of room to allow for them.

GB2

Old Member
Bill, I would agree with your thinking and would use the lags and shields. I would stick to 3/8" maximum as the 1/2" adds nothing more and is too large to use with bricks. Typically I like to place the shields in the mortar joints as they do not have as much strength in the bricks and the 1/2" would be much too large for that. Those sleeve anchors are a fine alternative too if that bolt and nut arrangement works for your job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe I would use two all threads top & two bottom per panel and go through the wall and finish off on the inside. Possibly use a plate on the inside for any possible pull. For the rest of the areas, I'd use shields and 3/8"lags. These will be needed for expansion and contraction mostly. Very smart on their part to have you spec it out, then they can fall back on you if anything goes wrong.

TammieH

lags and shields are ok, but expansion bolts (I assume the same as sleeve anchors?) are a lot easier to use

Mosh

I use the anchors, just don't over tighten if the mortor is soft. In soft mortor I put some liquid nail in the hole first, don't think it does much but makes me feel a little better.