• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best file type for Print/Cut....?

Tparkin

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the most efficient and accurate file type to use between Corel X3 and Versaworks for PRINT/CUT jobs. I can't get Corel to export an .eps if the graphic has drop shadows (and converting the drops to bmp looks terrible) and using a .pdf works but takes literally forever to rip...plus the colors are a bit off.

Any suggestions....?

ChiknNutz

I use PDF almost strictly. I too use Corel X3, and you need to make sure that you've turned on your Color Management to get better more accurate colors (this, however is a HUGE subject in itself). Try using the the setting "Output for Professional Printing" or something to that nature as a STARTING point. However, I use Wasatch SoftRip, so I may see different results than if using VW. AFAIK, you need to use EPS or PDF to get cut lines to show up. Otherwise, you can use TIFF or JPG for print-only images, though I still prefer PDF for all files (more consistent results for me).

Tparkin

Seems as if my .pdf's have a faint rectangle behind any drop shadow or imported graphic (.psd, jpeg, etc.) It more or less grays out the graphic in those areas. I've tried numerous setting to no avail.

Last edited:

BJ Carter

Can anyone share what the solution may be for this, I have the same issue. I can print objects with drop shadow on white vinyl and it prints fine, I mean the shadow fades into background as It should.
Thnx, Bj

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
when you do PDF's..turn off ALL Image and data compression. It makes it much easier to Rip the file. I experience slow rip times as well with my Colorburst rip for Vutek.

Ken

I had a client send me some .pdf files.
He had created in Corel 12.
The text was not properly spaced. It was weird. I checked the "Properties" of the file and from Corel 12 it was exporting those files as an Adobe 4 format. I notice that within Corel X3 you have a choice to export .pdf files as Adobe 4, 5, 6, or pdf corel 12 or pdf corel 13. It will take some experimentation to get the best results.
Cheers!
Ken

asd

when you export in pdf format the file doesn't have to be in full size versaworks has the ability to increase the size of the image without loosing quelity as long as is in pdf

Ken

Yes, but I think the Adobe format chosen will allow for better results in the RIP..have some homework to do on that..
Ken