• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best fluid to remove adhesive from vinyl awning?

njsignguy

i starting removing 24" vinyl lettering adhesive from a 70' vinyl awning. I tried goo gone with no result what-so-ever. I then started using denatured alcohol and that seems to work good. I spray on the alcohol with a spray bottle and take a scotch-brite pad and do some wax on wax off.

Can anyone recommend something that would make this job a lot simpler?

thank you

SignosaurusRex

First of all, It is important to find out what the awning material is. Most awning manufaturers/companies will have a tag sewn on somewhere inside or on the return underside. If so, you can call and inquire if you are not familiar with awning fabrics.The next step is to determine what the vinyl was (Brand & Grade), sometimes by matching the old to a sample/swatch chart. From there it can usually be determined what will be the best solvent/aid. In some cases, Alcohol is best and in some cases regular Mineral Spirits proves most effective. In some cases the vinyl is a very @#$%&* brand/grade with an equivalent adhesive and equally difficult to remove regardless of what you use.

BobM

Rapid Remover from Rapid Tac. I use it on everything and never had a problem. Test a small spot just to be sure.

njsignguy

great, just ordered some Rapid Remover!

A little expensive though! But i hope it saves me time!

Im going to look for the tag on the awning once i return to find out more info and see if the manufacturer can give me any hints!

thank you

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's a tedious job, but heat and a tweezers works for us. I'm not to keen of putting chemicals on vinyl substrates and hoping for the best. Most chemicals usually leave a haze. Is this a backlit ?? If so, you might wanna put some light behind it and see if you've caused any damage thus far.

thehamsterman

We always use rapid remover and then go back with alcohol to get rid of the citrus.

but it depends on the vinyl/awning fabric

our sign guy swears by mineral spirits though. i've always been nervous using that on a car, so i stick with rapid remover.