Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best for cutting Coro and Omega?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Farmboy, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    I know this has been beat to death, but I'm just not to happy with my FSC cutter anymore. Way to much play to cut a straight line. If I had time I'd tear it apart and do and Adam Savage on it. I've raised prices and feel that I should be giving the best product I can, even if it's just a simple coro or omega sign. Is a stomp shear the way to go, would it just crush coro, or should I be looking at a panel saw (ugh...the mess)? Thank you and I hope everyone's well.

Tags:
  2. Ldireprophil

Ldireprophil Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Atlanta
    Don't know what your budget is but a machine that pays for itself starting day 1 is a Summa F1612 table. Workhouse of a machine I use mine every day for cutting a multitude of different media, mainly coroplast. Just send the cut file, import, hit the button and you're done. My favorite machine in the shop.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. zspace

zspace Merchant Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    We have both a Fletcher and a Keen Cutter. I bought the Keen last year for similar reasons. The Keen is a more stable cutting platform but it's a lot slower on long runs of coroplast.

There are panel saws with optional box blade tools for coroplast. That option will expand what you can cut (MDO, 6mm substrates, etc...) but you're right about the mess.

Fletcher makes replacement kits of all the plastic sleeves for their cutters that will help with the wobble some. The Fletcher is worth fixing even if it's just to improve the resale value.

4. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Ours is on the way...can't wait!

I was in the same boat as you Tom, we have a Keen Cut and have never been 100% satisfied with it. Works good for down and dirty coroplast signs but I really dislike the way it leaves the edges on ACM and how it cracks PVC if you don't do multiple slooooow cuts. Re-calibrating it is also a bit of a pain, you can never really get it 100% square.

Definitely a big step up from a wall cutter to a flatbed, but I can't wait to move our work over to it. Automation for the win!