• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best heat gun for wrapping?

biggmann

I just threw out my third heat gun and again have to replace it and dont want another $30 Home Hardware POS. I have one that gets far too hot to quickly and and looking for a good small one so I am asking what does everyone else use that they are happy with.

biggmann

I have tried to use a torch and honestly I dont prefer it, I do use it from time to time but I prefer a heat gun.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I don't do wraps, but I don't think theres a better gun out there than the Dewalt LCD version. Adjustable in 50 degree increments from 150-1100 degrees, LCD display, etc.

zymogenesyst

I've never used one either.
Can a torch fan explain their benefits?

Sure. It's instant, no waiting for it to get up to temp. It's cordless, no worries about finding an outlet or bringing extension cords.

Heat guns have their place too, like when doing matte wraps. Less likely to gloss it out. I got my heat gun at Harbor Freight, cheap, adjustable, works great.

plottfish

go for a midrange heatgun, dont buy any expensive ones with display, may test them out before buying, you need quick heat the displays one need much longer time to heat up and when the hit they ground to often they are also gone :)

rjssigns

I get the one's Harbor Freight sells. Get 'em for $7.95 with coupon. I get 2 at a time in case I have a helper. They work well for me. Frankly I can't see spending a ton of money on a brand name that is still made in China.
Gotta ask yourself if a Milwaukee or Dewalt is nearly 10 times the tool of what Harbor Freight offers.

Wraptrick

I will add that my DeWalt LCD heat gun is by far the most consistent gun I've used, and I'd gladly purchase another if it ever dies, but for most applications requiring heat I prefer using a torch, it cuts your heating time in half (or less).

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I get the one's Harbor Freight sells. Get 'em for $7.95 with coupon. I get 2 at a time in case I have a helper. They work well for me. Frankly I can't see spending a ton of money on a brand name that is still made in China.
Gotta ask yourself if a Milwaukee or Dewalt is nearly 10 times the tool of what Harbor Freight offers.

The Harbor Freight one is the one I have also...mainly because I almost never need a heat gun, so there's no reason to spend the extra money. I keep trying to find a reason to buy the DeWalt, but can't justify it.

I think it definitely has the best feature to price ratio of any gun on the market, but doesn't sound like those features would really lend themselves to doing wraps anyway.

johnnysigns

I prefer the heatguns with the controls on the back which make them easier (for me) to turn them on and off one handed. Used to use torches exclusively, but I prefer a heatgun hands down now.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I use both Heat guns and torches.
Black & Decker was given to me...when my Metabo was stolen or left in the back of a customers vehicle...not sure.
I mostly use the Heat Guns for any post heating or some complex bumper work when heating large areas etc.
Loved my Metabo cause it heated fast but it's hard to find my model anymore.