• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best material for Ski slope sign

parkedcar

What would be the best material to use for signage on a ski slope.
I don't do a ton of signs, so forgive my ignorance.
Largest sign is about 3'x4.5' and will have a vinyl print on the face.
Thanks!

HulkSmash

0.80 alum. with 3m 180 mounted with cast lam.

or if it's a flatbed print put a coat of autobody spray on it for protection.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think a lot depends on how they are to be mounted and to what are they being mounted.

GP

if using aluminum be sure to mount flush to outside edge of posts.

Sharp metal edges and bad skiers do not mix.

parkedcar

They said they have HVC posts that they will be mounted too. .080 aluminum was my first choice. What about PVC? These will only be up from december to april-ish

CES020

I've skied for a long time and I can't say I recall seeing too many metal signs on ski slopes. I see a lot of wood signs and a lot of coroplast signs. A LOT of coroplast signs.

Remember, if someone can hit it, they WILL hit it. It's be a bad thing to have someone rip open their head or face on a metal sign. I know it's not "sharp", but if you crash into the edge face first, it's going to be ugly.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
if using aluminum be sure to mount flush to outside edge of posts.

Sharp metal edges and bad skiers do not mix.

+1

We just did a run of slope maps for a client on 13mm PVC but he specified the material and did not ask for suggestions. My suggestion is Coro. Depending on placement, someone crashes into it....its more forgiving.

CES020

Also keep in mind, ice cold metal will have blown snow stick to it like mad, if you're in a place where they blow snow.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've done some ski resorts around here over the years... nothing on a large scale, but all of the signs were 3/4" MDO or sandblasted 6/4" redwood and pvc for the interior signs for all sorts of needs.

We always tended to use a material that is rather thick so if someone did happen to slip or run into the side of a sign... at least their head won't be sheared in half. They'll have a nasty bruise, but that's expected at a place with this sort of activity going on. That's what the bar is for..............

Also, I don't know what HVC posts are.

We do trail maps and ads for an Outdoor advertising Company that supplies maps and ads to over 250 resorts in the US and Europe.

all are direct print to substrates

Large trail maps are .080 aluminum
Small trail maps are 6mm Trevesol (super durable PVC)
Ads are all .040 styrene

Some pics attached.

Attachments

• 13069577050.jpg
    13069577050.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 13069577590.jpg
    13069577590.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 13069577230.jpg
    13069577230.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 13069580900.jpg
    13069580900.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 13069586130.jpg
    13069586130.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

parkedcar

Thanks for the info!!
Looks like the customer wants aluminum anyway. Signs won't be where anyone can run into them so thats not a worry.

CES020

Merritt, I see some serious concerns on all of those signs. I strongly suggest that you hire me to go inspect all of them....for a week at a time..........

The ink looks loose to me. Wouldn't want that ink to fall off and hurt a child, would you? :) I'll be happy to inspect them all for you.