• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BEST material for wraps?

Noumenon

Hi all, we've recently acquired a Roland XC-540 and though we don't have a garage to apply wraps, we're working on a partnership with a local custom auto shop.

Part of both ends of the bargain is providing the end customer with a top-notch product. I'm looking for a wrap material that will both print very well and hold up very well. Can anyone offer some advice on where to start?

I've also seen some mentions on here of laminating wraps. We've got a couple laminators, but I'm curious about what lamination to use and if it's even necessary with a high-end wrap material.

As always, thanks for any help, and if I get this going I promise I'll post some pics.:rock-n-roll:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Ummm... hi! <waves from Florida>

Just throwing this out there... but do you have any idea how to actually do a wrap? Besides the youtube videos you watched?

Guessing you haven't because you would never ask about not laminating a vehicle wrap in the same post that you mention "top notch product" if you knew anything at all about installing them.

I have the feeling garage space is the least of your problems...

speedmedia

Welcome from MI. Sounds like you have a lot to learn. I suggest doing some searches on this site to find some answers to your questions.

Thanks,
Kurt

Mikeifg

Wraps are a constant changing thing.It's not like we're all putting them on the same vehicle. Even the best Installers get hit from time to time on complex installs. We do wraps but I stopped pushing them because of all the hassles with them. I haven't found a customer yet who takes care of them and too many wrap wanna be's giving them away. If your looking to get rich good luck. I would work for a company first that does this it'syour best shot. I would agree with BigDawg.

Mikeifg

As far a material goes 3M first 180c and then Oracals premium wrap films are the best. Also remember this ALWAYS use the laminate that is matched for your material You'll be god this way.

Noumenon

No I don't have any idea how to do a wrap, other than the videos I've watched on youtube. That's why I'm trying to work with a local custom shop and that's also why I'm asking questions. I'm not trying to get rich off of vehicle wraps, I'm trying to expand our service offerings, and maybe bring in a few extra customers to another locally owned business that does great work. We started off printing art duplicates and photography, and we mount to gatorboard and plexi. I mainly got the XC-540 for our banner customers, but I'm the kind of person, like I'm sure most of you are, that likes to figure things out.

Thanks for the info, badfish, and thanks for the input from the rest of you.

Bigdawg

Just Me
There wasn't a slam in there Noumenon...

I truly believe you don't understand the complexity of what it takes to wrap a vehicle because you've seen it done and it looks fairly straight-forward...

but the reality is vehicle wrapping is not easy. Heating the curves to the right temperature without burning the vinyl is a learned art. Putting it down without stretching it is another.

My best advice to you is to hire an installer. Seriously. Find one that doesn't mind you watching. Or pay him/her a little extra to let you help and learn. But until your hands are on the vinyl laying it down you won't really understand that this is a learned art and is nothing like laying down vinyl on flat substrates.

And I use the 3MIJ180-v3 and 8518 for my wraps.

Good luck to you.

CheapVehicleWrap

Quite honestly the difficulty, attention to ALL details and the nerve racking experience of working with expensive cars and expensive materials is one of the main reasons I got into it. It "trims the herd" better than almost any business I can think of.

Any discouragement you think or do receive IS well intentioned. And a large percentage of those people never even got into it.

If you have allot of time, dedication and the capability (to make little, none, AND even loose money) for a decent period of time, you can do it.

To answer your questions; 3M and all printed wraps are laminated.

Noumenon

I'm located in a college town of just over 100,000 people. I haven't been able to find anyone who does vehicle wraps within 100 miles, so it's pretty much up to us to figure it out. The custom shop I'm trying to work a deal with does window tinting and decals, but I understand from what I've read on the different threads here that wraps are a lot more complicated. But they have some real talent working for them and it seems like they might be up for the challenge. I figure we're going to have a good amount of trial and error that will produce a lot of waste, but I'm willing to accept that in order to learn something new. Hopefully we can get it worked out before they throw their hands up in frustration. I'm confident in my own ability to learn, and I'm only 28 so I figure I've got plenty of time to expand my horizons.

Thanks again for the input.

EDIT: If there IS anyone in Missouri that's willing to travel to Columbia to help teach some noobs, I'd have no problem paying a reasonable price and would greatly appreciate the mentoring.

Mosh

Yes you need laminate. It makes the print last longer, and WAY easier to install by making the film thicker. Good luck, I would go to Fellars and take their wrap class if all you have ever done is see it on youtube. Or just start wraping friends cars for free until you get good at it. You will either love it or hate it by the 5th or 6th car. Either way it is going to cost you a few thousand to learn this skill.

BTW we use 3M and Oracal.

Noumenon

One more quick question:

3M has only the following info on the 8518:
"This highly conformable overlaminate provides a wet paint look that reflects sunlight brilliantly and resists fuel vapors, making it a top choice for a variety of graphic types, including car and boat wraps."

Is it pressure sensitive or heat sensitive? I've got a 44" laminator with heat but my 60" is only pressure.

CheapVehicleWrap

There's not much time till 2012.

There are several things you just mentioned concerning "we". Including "Hopefully we can get it worked out before they throw their hands up in frustration. To me (at your age) that would require superseding their talents and making it a ME thing ASAP.

Mosh

Pressure sensitive film, you better figure out what that is, you are going to need to know.
BTW, how are those Tigers doing? Order is restored! GO BIG RED (off the the Big 10)

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

Gees no one within a 100 miles, here it is 50 within 10 miles that do wraps.

I would think seriously about a wrap course....before you make the next move into it also when you do start simple partial wraps,then move onto more curves and complexities.