• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best media for wall wrap, long-term, indoors

Reaction GFX

I'm never sure what forum to post my questions in, so apologies if this isn't the best one...

I have a good customer that is looking to do some wall graphics. The walls are plaster (old building), not sure just how smooth they are as I have not seen them. They are looking to completely cover an area that is about 10' high from floor to ceiling and about 20' long. They would like these to stay up long-term, at least 5+ years. I run an Epson GS6000 and typically use Arlon media -- 4500GLX for flat signs, 6100XLP for vehicle graphics/wraps, with the appropriate matching Arlon laminate. Would either of these medias be suitable for this type of project? I mean, I know I can print either and likely apply it just fine, but I'm concerned about longevity as this is a high traffic building (local music venue), and I'm also concerned about adhesive left behind when the time does come to remove the graphics. I know they make wallpaper media, but I've never used it and I just don't trust the fade resistance of my GS6000 prints without lamination. (Heck, I barely trust them WITH lamination...a new printer is at the top of my list of upcoming major purchases.)

Any input on best medias for a project like this, as well as tips and techniques for applying to plaster, are appreciated! Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a customer who did a similar install and used Oracal 3641 which is a low cost 3 year vinyl and they had good success. They were going on dry wall though so I am not 100% sure how plaster will affect the install. Arlon DPF4500GLX is a higher quality vinyl and adhesive than the 3641 so I would assume it works just as well or better. Any permanent adhesive vinyl like 3641 or 4500glx is going to leave adhesive behind and may cause damage. The only way to avoid that is to use a low tack vinyl or Phototex but for an application that large it may not last 5 years especially if people can rub up against it. I have small decals on dry wall with a low tack vinyl and they have been up for over 5 years but they are small like 1' x 2' and no one ever touches them. I would say if they want 5+ years, go with the permanent adhesive vinyls but make sure you let them know that taking it down might be a PITA. Just my $0.02.

DoubleDiamond

We use matte 3641 and matte 210 lam and in the event the wall is textured, like most are, we use wallpaper paste. We keep some powder kind in a box from Lowes and add water. A little goes a long way. We install just like wallpaper. Make the paste a gel in a bucket, use one sponge to apply to wall and vinyl, squeegee on the wall and clean up with another clean sponge using another clean water bucket and change this water in a sink and the sponge too and apply the next piece. The really only drawback is it's very permanent. Done it about a dozen times in the last 10 years and no fails. Hope this helps, JM

d fleming

I want to say phototex but not sure about texture. I have only used it on smooth sheet rock. I have several long term jobs in the field and one large poster that has been on three office walls in many years. No mess left behind and can be reapplied again and again. Great stuff. If it does indeed work well on a textured surface, maybe someone will chime in, it is exactly what you are looking for.

Cory Marcin

I agree with VanderJ.
For this application, I've been using GraphiTex. The low tack will not leave any adhesive behind, and installs are super easy.
Good Luck!