• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best method for removal of old vinyl?

MrDesignGuy

I have a job coming up that needs the removal of old graphics. This vinyl appears have have been on for at least 7-10 years. It is baked on and cracking. Any suggestions of the quickest and easiest way to remove? Thanks in advance. Attached are photos.

Attachments

• window1.jpg
    window1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 106
  • window2.jpg
    window2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 127

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that's what I was coming to, but I wanted to hear the particulars first. Sometimes it's just not worth reclaiming old substrate when new would be better, easier and cheaper in the long run.

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
Depending on what the material that face is made of, you could use heat, chem or a combination of both. Will likely take more time than it is worth. If it is something replaceable then I would suggest trying to sell them on new substrate. Personally I have found that it is cheaper than the labor charge to remove the old stuff and will yield better overall results.

If you absolutely MUST remove the graphics from a sturdy and impervious substrate, I have found that adhesive remover is almost completely useless on really old vinyl. I have had VERY GOOD results using a commercial upholstery cleaner (got from a friend who has an auto detail shop). Works like the old school adhesive removers before VOC compliance became an issue. I did a 1995 Chevy Van that had vinyl AND painted lettering on it. Used the heat gun to take of the vinyl (which left behind ALL of the adhesive). Sprayed on the upholstery cleaner, used a shop towel to spread around and then used a pink removal squeegee to CAREFULLY scrape off the balls of sticky glue. While a very messy, time consuming job - it did yield very good results and the customer was really happy with his new lettering. (Believe it or not the paint part came of easier than the old vinyl).

Hope this helps.

Marlene

what is the substrate? is it glass? wood? plastic? how big is that? once we have the info, it will be easier to give you some help.

MrDesignGuy

Sorry guys, hectic day here... forgot the particulars. These are glass windows. Two are sized at 103" x 43" and the other at 91" x 43". So fairly large. I'm not sure if a vinyl zapper would damage the glass or not. Have not really used one before. I figured just old fashioned elbow grease with a razor blade or lil chisler would take 10 years to remove. Is there a solvent similar to rapid remover that can be used to dissolve old vinyl??? It would be ideal to spray on, leave for 30 mins to an hour, come back and wipe clean. Thanks again.

FatCat

OK, you didn't hear this from me but I once used aircraft stripper to remove old vinyl decals from a 20 year old aluminum boat. Eats it up in minutes. HOWEVER, anything it touches (paint, plastic, vinyl, etc.) is gone! Probably would eat the paint on those window frames. Oh, gotta wear rubber gloves too.

Si Allen

Duhhh ... since you are familiar with Rapid Remover ... use it with a razor blade. Shouldn't take long.

MrDesignGuy

Duhhh ... since you are familiar with Rapid Remover ... use it with a razor blade. Shouldn't take long.

My experience with Rapid Remover is that I have used it on old vinyl before, but didn't do much to the vinyl itself, just aided in the removal of the leftover adhesive. The top layer of old vinyl had to be scraped away first, which usually just flakes away from the adhesive. I am hope to cut two steps down to just one and done.

MrDesignGuy

OK, you didn't hear this from me but I once used aircraft stripper to remove old vinyl decals from a 20 year old aluminum boat. Eats it up in minutes. HOWEVER, anything it touches (paint, plastic, vinyl, etc.) is gone! Probably would eat the paint on those window frames. Oh, gotta wear rubber gloves too.

Might be an option, sounds expensive though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If this is regular green or tempered glass... a window razor scraper will do the trick.... and I might add very quickly. Glass is the easiest thing to clean. That size will be about 10 to 15 minutes a window with no chemicals or magic potions.

Pro Image

Just get a 3in scraper and Rapid Remover and get the job done......It shouldn't take you more than 15min to do both those windows.......

Your search for something to "Cut two steps down to One" has taken longer to do than the job its self.........:doh:

MrDesignGuy

Thanks, I was really just trying narrow down my time frame in order to price the removal reasonably for my customer. I have a feeling this vinyl will chip off like paint, a little rapid remover and a razor blade, and the job won't take long. Hell, might even try a $5.00 can of that aircraft stripper... if only they had strippers on airplanes... hmm now that's a thought! :wink:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Use a long handle razor scraper.
Clean the grit off the glass and spray it down so your razor scraper glides easily.

Should take no time at all.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Like Mike said spray the window down with whatever solution you end up with and keep it wet as you work. If you scrape the vinyl off dry with a razor it is pretty easy to scratch the glass.
Ask anyone who has ever worked in a tint shop.....

wayne k
guam usa

Pat Whatley

Thanks, I was really just trying narrow down my time frame in order to price the removal reasonably for my customer.

Why? Seriously, charge what the job is worth...not what your customer wants to pay. Tell your customer stripping the windows and cleaning will run them $XX, let them decide to pay it or go at it themselves.

You're not just selling the labor to do it, you're selling the acquired knowledge of HOW to do it.

I'm a little surprised that you've just ignored spending 15 minutes to strip and clean them with a razor blade but you're willing to experiment with aircraft stripper that you've already been warned will destroy almost anything it touches (including skin).

Si actually offered the easiest way to get vinyl off a window on another post a while back....it's called a hammer.

JR's

posted by Gino
If this is regular green or tempered glass... a window razor scraper will do the trick.... and I might add very quickly. Glass is the easiest thing to clean. That size will be about 10 to 15 minutes a window with no chemicals or magic potions.

:thumb::thumb:

Si actually offered the easiest way to get vinyl off a window on another post a while back....it's called a hammer

:ROFLMAO:

JR