• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Piece Of Machinery / Tools / Equipment

Jake Howard

Hi All,

I started another thread about efficiency in your sign shop, but I thought I would start another thread dedicated to the best piece of Machinery, Tool or Equipment which you have, that makes life at your sign shop much easier.

One piece of equipment which we have had from day one, is a Keencut Bench, for cutting Corflute, Foam PVC etc. It is reliable and just works day in day out without.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else has to say.

Cheers

Jake

Gino

Premium Subscriber
These threads you're starting are little sensitive to some people because you're putting them in areas where anyone can see them..... even end-users. Ideas of what things cost and how to cut even more, isn't something yuo want your customers to see. Maybe the Admin can move these into a more appropriate category or you could start them somewhere else, but you hafta ask the Admin to do it for you. :smile:

CanuckSigns

In terms of which machine makes us the most money, I would have to say our 2 laser engravers, they run pretty much non stop every day.

the machine that has made our lives easier, the rolls roller without a doubt.

Speedsterbeast

My Versacamm makes me the most money, next to doing labour, but my most versatile is my Ezy Taper. Laminate, Mount Vinyl, Remove Dibond coating,Apply app tape. And of course use to hang drying prints as well.

Most money is made by my hands. The HP L360 is great and the Graphtec is awesome. Laminators are a necessity. But nothing would get done without a work force and a razor blade. I forget what the machine is. But it picks up a 4x8 board/ prints the board/ routes the board and dumps it in a tray. There is still a person to load/ unload the materials/ load with ink/ etc. etc. Then even with that all said. The machine is not gonna upsell the customer whose waiting in the shop. Our best money makers are the people in our company.

Andy D

I'm guessing you're asking for out of the ordinary tools that people added
to their shop that made a big difference, and if that's not what you meant, too bad, that's what I'm listing:

1 Would have to be the back-lit / work table I built, we do a lot of back-lit stuff and I'm not sure how we got by without it.
2 The heavy duty corner rounder has made life easier.
3 Not a tool, but it has made a huge difference, when we pulled up our old nasty carpet that was only good for trapping dirt and static and having a crew come in and grind down and polish
the concrete floor, so much easier to keep clean & much less trash in the vinyl.

Jake Howard

Hi Andy,

Do you have a photo or product name for the heavy duty corner rounder you have?

Can you use it to radius the corners of Aluminium Composite Panel?

artbot

rotisserie tables.

Attachments

• Alldredge_big easels.jpg
    Alldredge_big easels.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 86

SignosaurusRex

My Hands. They are the ultimate tool. With them, I can do anything ...Without them, I can do nothing! I've had them since I was born. I take good care to protect and care for them so that they will last my lifetime.

CanuckSigns

Hi Andy,

We have a cheap corner rounder I got off ebay that does a great job on ACP. ACP is not difficult to cut or round.

ExecuPrintGS

Our best tool is by far our flatbed. Ive worked here for just over 4 years, and since i started i haven't had anything less than 3-400 hours of over time every year. We got the flatbed december of last year and i think i'm just over 80 hours of OT this year. Sales are up, lead times are down, turn around is faster, and I'm not working 12-16 hour days. Boss is happy (i'm a little lighter in the wallet) and so are the customers.

Id say it was a good purchase.

Andy D

Hi Andy,

Yep, this isn't who I bought it from but I wish I did, I paid about $100 more than what
they list it at. It can easily be switched between four different radius and
cuts up to .080 aluminum, and yes, it cuts aluminum comp very well :
http://www.montroy.com/supplies/item.php?item_no=XSTCR

The press isn't included, You will need to get a one ton press like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

Let me know if you decide to go with this, I will help you
with how it needs to be setup and save you the headache.

artbot

got them at a military surplus yard years ago. were used to build fighter jets for the vietnam war. one is 7 x 14 (was used for wings) the other is 8 x 8 (was used for tail/vertical stabilizer. this one under the wood deck is a trapazoid?! i had them chopped and such to accept the table top.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I don't have a shop since 98% of what I do is install, but my best tools are my ladders, DeWalt Tough System, and the DeWalt Tstak setup in my truck. Then there are a slew of hand and power tools that make installing a ton easier (laser level, laser distance measurer, kinesiology scissors (great for VHB tape), cordless SDS rotary hammer, etc......

Attachments

• 20150904_125414.jpg
    20150904_125414.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20150904_130045.jpg
    20150904_130045.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20150904_130128.jpg
    20150904_130128.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 62
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg