• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Printer and Material for Decals/Stickers

jaybee

I was wondering if I could get some help.

I'm new to these forums but spent a little time reading just now and they are GREAT!!

So what we need to do is provide proofs in 24 hours for customers and do some small (150-200 piece) production runs. Larger runs will be pad printed.

The items include lip balm jars with imprint on the cap so they get handled often and we don't want to spray coat or laminate. Link to image of item: http://www.epromos.com/OrderPipeline/largeImg1.jsp?productID=8819934

We need to apply a clear label/decal with logo so the customer can see through to the plastic behind the decal.

Any help on a printer and material would be HUGE!!

We will profile cut them using a Stika. I'm thinking we can run them with a laser printer (we don't have a solvent printer, etc) but am stuck on good material. It should be as thin as possible with great adhesion.

We've tested with clear vinyl cheapo stuff from Staples and the image looks great but scraped off with a fingernail.

Much appreciated and I look forward to contributing to the boards!

jaybee

Thanks ThinkRight. Without having to make a large investment right away, are there any options for materials that can be run with a laser printer that might work? Or maybe a inkjet printer with special inks?

We want to test the market for a little bit before commiting to a large format printer.

ThinkRight

Thanks ThinkRight. Without having to make a large investment right away, are there any options for materials that can be run with a laser printer that might work? Or maybe a inkjet printer with special inks?

We want to test the market for a little bit before commiting to a large format printer.

I do not think you will find the same material for a inkjet printer.
The samples would be useless.I would think you want the samples and the product to be the same.(apples & apples)
With the Summa, you can print and cut short runs ,no need to laminate.
Turn the machine off for weeks , turn it on and do it again.
And your samples will literally be the same as the end product on large runs.
I looked at the BN20, Limited media choices,machine needs to be on 24/7 to run cleaning cycle ... wasting ink and media.And everything will need to be laminated.
Not a bad printer though for what it is made for.
Your decision,you could sub it out to a merchant member here,and if quantity is high enough, buy a machine.

Edna

I printstickers for all kinds of things on the roland printer I have. It was only 17,00 or so. Not much money at all.

JP4

So...the only option for start up sticker guys is to invest in 8k+ printer to do smaller sticker? I'm also wanting to get into making small decals for a "nitch" market. I know that Roland 300 series would be great but don't have the 7-15K to put into this adventure. I understand that this would eventually be the best option..but an more economical start would be nice.

royster13

If you are not going to sell enough to pay for an 8,000.00 machine, why bother?....Are you wanting to make a living at it?......If so, you should sell enough to pay for a printer like that in a few months......

sardocs

These cost less than anything Roland or Mutoh make. And after you've done a few thousand you develop a killer handshake.

Attachments

• Dymo_Omega_Embosser.jpg
    Dymo_Omega_Embosser.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 339