• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best printer for economy paper posters

Billct2

We print a boatload of paper posters on our 60" HP Designjets.
I've gone through a few 5000/5500 and now have a z6100 and a z6200.
Looks like the 6100 is toast, if I'm reading the problem right, the parts would cost $1000-1500, which is almost what the printer is worth.
My first thought is to get a refurb z6100 or 6200. We use the PS version, we don't have a separate RIP.
But I would like to see what my options are. As I said the most important thing is the economy paper printing, 60" width and onboard RIP.
We do some vinyl and banners on them, but mostly the paper.
I;ve been very happy with the HPs, they're really reliable and that is key with our contracts.
But, are there any other printers I should be looking at that would work as well?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Bly

We kept one of our old latex 25500s mainly to print posters on cheap uncoated stock.
They do a better job of it than even the 360s.
We use 200gsm uncoated paper and it even does a reasonable job on 80gm bond paper.
You'd need a RIP though.

Billct2

That's what I was wondering about the Latex printers...we use a 28# 98gsm paper, don't want to have to use a heavier paper, it won't work for the application.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Latex all the way, I have poster paper that is less than $.10 sqft. Nothing else will compete for cost efficiency and the quality you get with Latex is great! There are some great deals right now on Latex with the SGIA show happening right now also.

TomK

Latex all the way, I have poster paper that is less than $.10 sqft. Nothing else will compete for cost efficiency and the quality you get with Latex is great! There are some great deals right now on Latex with the SGIA show happening right now also.

Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone know of an adhesive backed paper product that can be used in the latex machines? I'd prefer something in a 30" x 50 yd roll.

Billct2

Thanks for the feedback Bigfish. One question, how light a paper can latex run? Will it print on something equivalent to the #28 90gsm paper I now use?
We had to use a heavier paper once and the client hated it.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Thanks for the feedback Bigfish. One question, how light a paper can latex run? Will it print on something equivalent to the #28 90gsm paper I now use?
We had to use a heavier paper once and the client hated it.

It's the equivalent of C1S stock or like a 100# gloss text. I can send you a sample to play with if you want.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone know of an adhesive backed paper product that can be used in the latex machines? I'd prefer something in a 30" x 50 yd roll.

I have this also if your interested in a sample just let me know.

Billct2

Thanks for the offer Bigfish, but I don't have the machine to try it, yet.
It also doesn't sound like the lightweight matte bond (24# 90gsm)we now use.
Though I find paper terms a bit confusing.

GB2

Old Member
Bill, we can print the cheap bond paper on the L25500, if I'm not mistaken it's the equivalent to 20# paper. It's very light....but again, there's nothing like trying it!

Bly

We also print on 80gsm bond on the 25500.
Just a note - the 360s don't print on uncoated paper as well as the 25500.

bttweb

get another z6100 or z6200

if you still have inks and heads for them.. get the same printer as the inks could run forever with 750 ml.
I rarely have changed cartridge on mine.

I do have a spare 6100 60" if your interested and within 90 miles from your area.