• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Printer for Full Print Wraps

BALLPARK

We have a Roland XC-540 and the only thing we print on it is wraps. The prints look awesome and I think it is a far better build than the XR-640 for overall performance. The XC-540 is a tank and I was hoping the new gen Roland's would improve, but I have heard many horror stories from those that have the new models.

You can pick-up an XC-540 for the 8k to 10k range and it will turn out great looking prints and has really good speeds. I would purchase another XC-540 before I would purchase an XR-640. I wish they just made a new model of the XC-540.

I hear good things and bad things from latex. Color shifts from panel to panel is a no-go for wraps. I don't know if all the latex have it or just some bad luck with users on here. If the color shift is not an issue anymore, then I would say buy a latex for sure.

Good luck...

Baz

My Roland VS-540 prints out amazing colors on wrap vinyl.
Running double CMYK.
I am using Roland inks and cost is not a factor.

Customers are always happy about how the colors turn out. (less so about the price :-D)

Whatever you do ... Don't go cheap.

rjssigns

Another tidbit to fan the flames of debate. HP latex and Roland eco-sol at a school. Guess which one runs semester after semester with almost zero maintenance/issues? Hint, it ain't the HP. When I asked I was told the Roland hadn't had a PM done in over a year and a half.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I remember reading here that latex prints are not as forgiving and a little more difficult when wrapping with them. Anyone know if this is true?
Actually, because the latex doesn't bite into/affect the vinyl like the solvent does, it is like installing un-printed laminated white vinyl. If that makes sense.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I wonder how HP Latex was able to become the #1 machine in the industry in less then 7 years. I wonder why a machine that is allegedly all plastic weighs more than the Roland, must be some crazy plastic they have. I wonder why THE BIGGEST PRODUCERS of Car Wraps, Wall Murals and Fine Art Canvas in this industry use HP Latex. Anyone who tells you that there is more maintenance with a Latex machine vs. solvent is really being dishonest with themselves lol that just crazy talk. I know a lot of people could care less about the environment but Latex is the most environmentally friendly solution out there which can help penetrate new markets you couldn't touch with solvent. I wonder why EVERY major manufacturer is focusing on materials specific to latex technology. More materials are available for latex and at better costs in many cases.

If you like wasting ink and seeing banding on your prints at high speed than yeah solvent is great for that but if you want to go after high end and profitable applications like Backlits, Wall Graphics, Tradeshow Graphics, and Environmentally conscious applications then look at an HP.

I know plenty of people who really cant stand the HP but from my personal experience its really hard for me to see any reason to buy a solvent printer. I think you can generate healthy profits with just about any machine and any machine you do decide on will eventually give you some problems so TECH support is also a big factor when choosing equipment.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
FYI I totally respect everyone's opinion they have about their machine preference, I am just sharing MY OPINION that's all. :rock-n-roll:

ProColorGraphics

I have a HP 360 and an Epson S70. I like them both and they both have advantages and disadvantages. If I could only keep one, it would be the Epson. I have overall just had better luck with it. Has it been perfect, no. Tech support for HP and Epson have both been great, in my area anyways. I am actually looking at adding a new S80 right now, FWIW.

The HP is more forgiving for setups, not sure if I'm using the right terms. The Epson needs be what I call "tuned" to tighter tolerances. Which isn't hard to do, just takes an extra minute or two, but I have found I get way better looking prints off to it to. So for me, it is worth it! Banding, yes, I have had random banding show up in my HP. So it's not perfect either. I have had a lot more random errors on my HP too. Yes, color matching can be an issue. Pretty much everything I do is on 12 pass and I can still have random color match issues from panel to panel.

coastguy111

Not to Hijack the OP's thread, but in a similar prediction.. thoughts on the New Epson SureColor 40600 with onyx rip for $10,995?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You do realize.... .02¢ is 2-hundredth of a cent? You meant 2¢ I am sure..... :)

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Canon image PROGRAF iPF770 is a perfect option for someone who is looking for the best printer for vehicle wraps. This large format printer's dual-functioning and sub-ink tank system made it a good choice among other options available in this budget.

Here is another detailed guide which can help you: ...

This is so so wrong... this is a tiny (36") CAD/poster printing machine with inks that will not last more than a few weeks outdoors.

Precision

Our 360 has made us a lot of money. You have to change your $120 print heads first sign of purple/grey shift or any sign of banding. Also, keep your warranty and keep up on the maintenance. (Easy peasy) Other than that it's been great for the time and money spent. Still printing wraps 7 years in.