• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best printer for yard signs

Forrest

Looking into a printer for yard sign production. We are a photo lab, so image quality is pretty important. Looking at the hp R1000 right now. Is there anything better out there at the moment. Good service is a pretty big deal too, can't have too much down time if the machine does go down. Thanks

parrott

Check out Vangaurd. The 10 head machine is pretty dang fast and the quality is better than the HP in my opinion. Color and adhesion also top notch.

Smaller company that will treat you more like family than just another number.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The R1000 is a fairly high end machine. What's your expected volume? While I have heard good things about the HP, you might want to look at the Mimaki JFX200 which is more of an entry level machine.Slower but easier on the wallet!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You must have an amazing amount of yard sign work to invest all that money into any of these options. Is quality that important for yard signs?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
When you say “best” you really need to come in with a budget. There’s always gonna be someone telling you to get a SwissQ etc but we really need an idea of volume and budget.

The HP R series is relatively mid-high end. You can get great quality a lot cheaper if you are happy to compromise on speed. Also a lot of happy members with Vanguards on this forum and they seem to have price point and quality/speed spot on.

We’ve only ever really dealt with canon and I can attest to their customer service (in the UK anyway). We get an engineer either same day or next morning at the latest.

greysquirrel

This is an oxymoron right? A photo lab looking to do lawn signs? I have an R-Series...3 pass profiles all day long on yard signs..A hybrid is usually the way to go for lawn signs. I would have never purchased this printer if that was its main responsibility...there are faster printers on the market. That being said...the I IQ, flexibility, durability, ease of use, maintenance, white ink, I love it.

It may be worth looking at the Vanguard...they are pretty fast. I am not sure if the service has improved but that was the only knock on them when I was looking.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I take it, you're like a central branch for quite a few places/locations. So, you'll be getting files in from all over the place and producing them, like ya do with photos. You're probably gonna be relying on volume, but still need to put out top notch. I guess like Home Depot, Staples or something of the likes. I'd go with a really good piece of equipment, so you can get the right quality when needed so there's no banding or horseplay in skin tones and whatnot. You're also gonna need some good ripping software, so be sure that's included in your bundle.

karst41

HP Latex 315 is a low cost printer and is cheap and easy to maintain.
These will endure long idle times and just do a cleaning cycle once a day
to keep the print heads wet.

Brandon708

I can see a photo lab getting a R1000. They do great prints and the white ink is low (physical) maintenance unlike other printers. R1000 is pretty good at printing precut 18x24 yard signs. You can also print on canvas' and reverse print on acrylic that looks excellent.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Looking into a printer for yard sign production. We are a photo lab, so image quality is pretty important. Looking at the hp R1000 right now. Is there anything better out there at the moment. Good service is a pretty big deal too, can't have too much down time if the machine does go down. Thanks

Trufire By DigiTech made in USA, right here in San Antonio....
4 head unit,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/luj4dcgpbht4if1/Trufire 3 pass Default ST 4 head.MP4?dl=0

if thats not fast enough here's an 8 head unit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk820k4wil8fhxs/27 second a board .mp4?dl=0

MikePro

the "best" is an arbitrary term, as there are a LOT of printers out there that you can utilize to make coroplast signs.

if the HP R1000 is in your price-range..... pull the trigger, and don't look back. Currently DYING to get one myself, but I just bought a new HP365 and my 2nd CNC router but the R1000 is at the top of my list for purchases next year.
not only would you have the ability to directly print to your substrate, which saves a TON of cost/effort, but you would have the versatility to print to rolls of film if you branch-out to car wraps, wall murals, & misc. decals/graphics.

besides, that machine is made to be user-friendly and easy-to-maintain. if you're not printing a lot of white, you pull out the white printhead and run the machine without it while it sits in a rotating drum and keeps the ink from settling within the printhead, and cycles the white ink for you. Head strikes ruin a printhead? no problem, plulg&play a new one in. Heck, it will even align itself for you. Granted, with ease of service comes some pricey serviceable parts expenses down the line, but time is almost always more valuable than parts & downtime.
I would highly recommend HP products to anyone getting into the market for the first-time. They really do make their products as simple as possible to operate & maintain.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Digitech makes solid printers. We run 2 of them, a true fire and a retro jet. Both are solid, reliable and fast. We push coroplast at just over 40 boards an hour on one and 30 per hour on the other. TheIr new machines are faster. Check out the videos.

Brian Shepard

As you haven't mentioned your budget, yet if this is a startup I;d suggest you getting a cheaper machine as R1000 is a high-end and costly machine and difficult to maintain. If your order value is minimum I;d suggests you get a cheaper one from amazon. Or you may outsource your initial orders from 3rd party supplier that provides yard signs or outdoor displays and once you start getting a flow of orders you may invest in a bigger machine.