Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best printer for yard signs

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Forrest, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Forrest

Forrest New Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Richmond
    Looking into a printer for yard sign production. We are a photo lab, so image quality is pretty important. Looking at the hp R1000 right now. Is there anything better out there at the moment. Good service is a pretty big deal too, can't have too much down time if the machine does go down. Thanks

Tags:
  2. parrott

parrott Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Vol Nation
    Check out Vangaurd. The 10 head machine is pretty dang fast and the quality is better than the HP in my opinion. Color and adhesion also top notch.

Smaller company that will treat you more like family than just another number.

3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    The R1000 is a fairly high end machine. What's your expected volume? While I have heard good things about the HP, you might want to look at the Mimaki JFX200 which is more of an entry level machine.Slower but easier on the wallet!

4. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You must have an amazing amount of yard sign work to invest all that money into any of these options. Is quality that important for yard signs?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    When you say “best” you really need to come in with a budget. There’s always gonna be someone telling you to get a SwissQ etc but we really need an idea of volume and budget.

The HP R series is relatively mid-high end. You can get great quality a lot cheaper if you are happy to compromise on speed. Also a lot of happy members with Vanguards on this forum and they seem to have price point and quality/speed spot on.

We’ve only ever really dealt with canon and I can attest to their customer service (in the UK anyway). We get an engineer either same day or next morning at the latest.

6. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

You're going to get alot of answers. You need to narrow down what you want. Vanguard is worth a look though.

In the mean time, we print hundreds of thousands of yard signs for the trade every year. Both screen and digital. Check them out here: https://www.firesprint.com/yard-signs/

• Like Like x 2
  7. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    This is an oxymoron right? A photo lab looking to do lawn signs? I have an R-Series...3 pass profiles all day long on yard signs..A hybrid is usually the way to go for lawn signs. I would have never purchased this printer if that was its main responsibility...there are faster printers on the market. That being said...the I IQ, flexibility, durability, ease of use, maintenance, white ink, I love it.

It may be worth looking at the Vanguard...they are pretty fast. I am not sure if the service has improved but that was the only knock on them when I was looking.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I take it, you're like a central branch for quite a few places/locations. So, you'll be getting files in from all over the place and producing them, like ya do with photos. You're probably gonna be relying on volume, but still need to put out top notch. I guess like Home Depot, Staples or something of the likes. I'd go with a really good piece of equipment, so you can get the right quality when needed so there's no banding or horseplay in skin tones and whatnot. You're also gonna need some good ripping software, so be sure that's included in your bundle.

9. karst41

karst41 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Stone Mountain, GA
    HP Latex 315 is a low cost printer and is cheap and easy to maintain.
    These will endure long idle times and just do a cleaning cycle once a day
    to keep the print heads wet.

10. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    I can see a photo lab getting a R1000. They do great prints and the white ink is low (physical) maintenance unlike other printers. R1000 is pretty good at printing precut 18x24 yard signs. You can also print on canvas' and reverse print on acrylic that looks excellent.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Troy Lesher

Troy Lesher Merchant Member

May 23, 2018
    Texas
    Trufire By DigiTech made in USA, right here in San Antonio....
    4 head unit,
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/luj4dcgpbht4if1/Trufire 3 pass Default ST 4 head.MP4?dl=0

if thats not fast enough here's an 8 head unit
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk820k4wil8fhxs/27 second a board .mp4?dl=0

• Like Like x 3
  12. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
  13. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hahahahaha that 8 head unit is crazy!

14. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    the "best" is an arbitrary term, as there are a LOT of printers out there that you can utilize to make coroplast signs.

if the HP R1000 is in your price-range..... pull the trigger, and don't look back. Currently DYING to get one myself, but I just bought a new HP365 and my 2nd CNC router but the R1000 is at the top of my list for purchases next year.
    not only would you have the ability to directly print to your substrate, which saves a TON of cost/effort, but you would have the versatility to print to rolls of film if you branch-out to car wraps, wall murals, & misc. decals/graphics.

besides, that machine is made to be user-friendly and easy-to-maintain. if you're not printing a lot of white, you pull out the white printhead and run the machine without it while it sits in a rotating drum and keeps the ink from settling within the printhead, and cycles the white ink for you. Head strikes ruin a printhead? no problem, plulg&play a new one in. Heck, it will even align itself for you. Granted, with ease of service comes some pricey serviceable parts expenses down the line, but time is almost always more valuable than parts & downtime.
    I would highly recommend HP products to anyone getting into the market for the first-time. They really do make their products as simple as possible to operate & maintain.

15. Troy Lesher

Troy Lesher Merchant Member

May 23, 2018
    Texas
    Give me a call we can discuss pricing

16. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Probably alot less then you might think... They are on to something there.

17. zspace

zspace Merchant Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Digitech makes solid printers. We run 2 of them, a true fire and a retro jet. Both are solid, reliable and fast. We push coroplast at just over 40 boards an hour on one and 30 per hour on the other. TheIr new machines are faster. Check out the videos.

18. Brian Shepard

Brian Shepard New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Toronto
    As you haven't mentioned your budget, yet if this is a startup I;d suggest you getting a cheaper machine as R1000 is a high-end and costly machine and difficult to maintain. If your order value is minimum I;d suggests you get a cheaper one from amazon. Or you may outsource your initial orders from 3rd party supplier that provides yard signs or outdoor displays and once you start getting a flow of orders you may invest in a bigger machine.