• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Best process to remove ghosting on brushed aluminum

Keep Austin Lit

Hello,
I am new to the industry as an installer. I have a project which requires me to remove vinyl lettering from an exterior brushed aluminum sign and install new vinyl lettering. I am very confident their will be some ghosting once I remove the existing vinyl lettering. What are my options for removing the ghosting from the sign? I have heard of ghost off, white diamond and blue metal polish. Any advice and direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
something mild you can probably use is goo gone. I'm assuming that the ghosting is adhesive. After that, you might be able to use dawn dish soap.

visual800

once you remove adhesive and clean the surface well, you can take a red scotchbrite pad and rub vertical or horizontal with the grain and "hide" any ghosting. I have done this with success instead of purchasing new aluminum

Keep Austin Lit

something mild you can probably use is goo gone. I'm assuming that the ghosting is adhesive. After that, you might be able to use dawn dish soap.
Actually, all adhesive will be removed. The existing vinyl lettering protects the aluminum underneath. It's the surrounding areas that are not protected and have been oxidized that causes the ghosting. Thank you for your input.

Keep Austin Lit

once you remove adhesive and clean the surface well, you can take a red scotchbrite pad and rub vertical or horizontal with the grain and "hide" any ghosting. I have done this with success instead of purchasing new aluminum
Thank you very much. I appreciate your response and advice. I will give that a try and keep you posted.

Hello,
I am new to the industry as an installer. I have a project which requires me to remove vinyl lettering from an exterior brushed aluminum sign and install new vinyl lettering. I am very confident their will be some ghosting once I remove the existing vinyl lettering. What are my options for removing the ghosting from the sign? I have heard of ghost off, white diamond and blue metal polish. Any advice and direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Once youre in the clear on this one i strongly recomend performing a biderectional alignment. a quick way to verify it is off would be to run the same media at the same head gap in uni-directional if possible.