• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best R Tape Masking Tape

ABPGraphics

as long as i make good living out of it i dont care about anybody's standards. Like i said you get what you pay for and all my customers are happy with my work and product and thats all it matters.

Good answer IMO. We use 651 with no problems at all.

ZsVinylInc

I think the problem here in lies that you gave your customers a choice....I think a lot of people that have posted in this thread (and I don't want to put words into any ones mouths) would agree you just need to show your customers the 751 series color chart and tell them that is what you use for vehicle graphics and leave it at that. If they ask about the other vinyls in the color pallet you just tell them that those are not rated for vehicle application....problem solved. I think you will be happier working with cast as it weeds a heck of a lot nicer and applies a lot better.

tomence

i was just looking for a masking tape to go on 651 thats all this turned into something else
i know ok 751 is way better but i have cutomers that dont want to spend money on expensive signs so thats why i use 651 and i tell em like for example i have set of signs that go for $60 and use 751 or signs for $40 but use 651 so i give them choice and they always like the cheaper version. So why would i use 751 for the less expensive signs.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i was just looking for a masking tape to go on 651 thats all this turned into something else
i know ok 751 is way better but i have cutomers that dont want to spend money on expensive signs so thats why i use 651 and i tell em like for example i have set of signs that go for $60 and use 751 or signs for $40 but use 651 so i give them choice and they always like the cheaper version. So why would i use 751 for the less expensive signs.

A sign is a sign and a vehicle is a vehicle. Most have simply recommended 751 for vehicles ... not general signage. If you're selling vehicle lettering and/or graphics for $40 the difference is less than 35¢ a square foot to use an appropriate vinyl. I don't think I've done a vehicle door (avg. 2 square feet) for $40 or less since the 1980's. If you are doing vehicles for $40 in 2010 that's a whole other topic. My point is though that your talking about a difference of 70¢ for an average door to use a material that will look good 5 to 7 years from now instead of ratty in 2 years.

What you need to realize, if you don't already, is that most clients come to you first for professional work and second for price. It is expected that you will use materials appropriate for the job. If the guy up the street is using Shinerite on vehicles and you use 751 or any other cast high performance vinyl, you can kick his butt with a fear of loss suggestion in your presentation and be paid a better price than what you're getting by submitting to price comparison selling.

tomence

ok guys you dont get it. My customers dont care at all if a sign gonna go bad after 2 years. Most of the signs are off the vehicle in less than a year sometimes less than a month. Drivers come and go as fast as you change socks. Thats why now these companies that have to give signs to their owner operators dont want to spend lot of money and they dont care about quality anymore they care about prices thats all it matters to them. I dont sell to individuals i sell to comapnies that use like over 300 sets of signs a year maybe more so you think they gonna payme crazy money "NO". One of my customer just shot me in my leg when he told me he got a quote for 20 dollars a set of signs. Thats crazy and he was asking me if i can go even lower. So you guys think i am gonna go out there and buy the most expensive vinyl and masking tape NO WAY.
Sellint to individuals is a different story, Selling to big fleet companies is PAIN IN THE ASS.

Salmoneye

Then stop doing it. If we quit cutting our own throats we might be in a better position when this economy changes.

Fred - Thank you for the how-to on pulling liner. We have not learned even all of the basic tricks yet and I appreciated it. The other day I think it was you that posted about weeding letters from the right and numbers from the left? I would love to see more of these basic vinyl tips.

Mosh can offer the best quality in the sticks with all the money he saves using foreign labor. lol