• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best rip software that handles shadows and shades in pdfs?

WrapZone

Which rip software handles pdf and illustrator files the best? We currently have a Roland printer and Flexi10 but I am not sattisfied with flexi10 at all, it is really bad with more advanced pdfs created in InDesign and Illustrator, it is really bad with simple effects like shadows on text, monted images etc. Any sugstions on a program tjat works better? i would go as far as calling Flexi10 worthless.

FrankW

Since 10.5, Flexi uses a PDF Rip-Engine which should handle special effects in PDF-Files much better than Version 10.0.4 and earlier. But better import this kind of files directly to the production Manager instead of opening it in Flexi-Editor.

In January, Flexi will be launched in a new version with improved PDF Import Filter and the possibility to manage and edit transparencies in the editor too.

When looking for a different RIP, have an eye on RIP's with PDF Engine. The biggest problem of RIPping PDF-Files is that postscript can't handle a lot of features PDF offers.

WrapZone

Since 10.5, Flexi uses a PDF Rip-Engine which should handle special effects in PDF-Files much better than Version 10.0.4 and earlier. But better import this kind of files directly to the production Manager instead of opening it in Flexi-Editor.

In January, Flexi will be launched in a new version with improved PDF Import Filter and the possibility to manage and edit transparencies in the editor too.

When looking for a different RIP, have an eye on RIP's with PDF Engine. The biggest problem of RIPping PDF-Files is that postscript can't handle a lot of features PDF offers.

Thanks frank, will give it a try opening in the production manager and also update to 10.5 and give flexi another try.

FatCat

Have been really pleased with using Wasatch for the past 3 years. I typically save all my artwork from Illustrator into PDF and I've had very few issues with Wasatch with shading, gradations or even transparency filters.

WildWestDesigns

their newest which is.... 9.6? 9. something not sure.

9.10, but I think he meant should he get COPYRIP, VISUALRIP+, VISUALRIP, GRANDRIP etc.

I don't deal with RIP software, but since the OP is doing printing and cutting jobs, I would either do VisualRIP + or VisualRIP. I think VisualRIP + is if you have multiple machines, if not just do VisualRIP. But that's just me.

FrankW

Thanks frank, will give it a try opening in the production manager and also update to 10.5 and give flexi another try.

The Update is free if you almost have Flexi 10. But you need a new installation password, what you can create yourself at this adress:

http://www.sign.com/PDF/

That the Flexi Editor could destroy special effects in PDF-Files is a known problem and easy to explain (just because the Flexi Editor isn't an Illustrator). Most of the RIP-Softwares doesn't have this problem because they don't have an editor in which the files can be modified. When using the Production Manager directly (and set the job properties by double-clicking on it), you avoid a lot of possible problems.

API

I have 3 rips (Colorgate, Onyx and Caldera) and Caldera is hands down the most stable and best rip. Only draw back is Caldera requires a Mac or Linux computer.

Tim Aucoin

Seriously considering switching from Onyx to Caldera. Got a cross-upgrade price today and it is much better than I had expected it would be.

Only concern is... Will Caldera allow me to print/cut to my Roland GSX64 cutter from my Mac? I don't have the cutter drivers for Mac, but suspect I don't need them if Caldera supports that particular cutter within the RIP?? I'm a little confused about the whole process when it comes to running that cutter from a Mac. I haven't been able to figure out how to cut from Illustrator (on my Mac) to the GSX64 and have been using Corel on a PC :banghead: I've a bit to learn yet!!

Any advice, comments, etc...??
I am willing to spend the $$$ immediately if I will benefit from the switch! :smile:

Bly

The latest version of Onyx handles Adobe drop shadows well.

The previous version, not so much.

ignorance2

Caldera is hands down #1 in my book. Ive used Onyx, Wasatch, Versaworks and some Flexi. Caldera has given me no problems. On a side note if yopu do get Caldera I highly recomend getting the Barbieri easy color for making profiles! Its a large cost but in my opinion its worth its wieght in gold!