• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best satin paint for spraying HDU

Mr. T

I'm looking for a satin two part paint for spraying HDU carved signs. Latex paints don't flow enough and they are high end signs that need to be perfectly smooth.
Thanx,
Tracy

AUTO-FX

call your local automotive refinishing (bodyshop) supplier. PPG , Dupont, Sikkens, Sherwin Williams . Many suppliers can mix colors for you and deliver everything you need for individual jobs.

sagesign

I add Floetrol to all latex that I spray and a bit of water and they always have a nice, smooth finish.

schramm

Latex doesn't go on smooth???

If you spray any latex and add 1 oz of flurtrol per qt of paint or 4 oz per gallon and spray using a airless with a 4:11 tip you will get a furniture smooth finish with any latex. I use SW Super Paint exterior and never have issue.

I use to spray kitchen cabinets and furniture with that combo and never had any issues. Keep the sprayer turned down and test out on a sample piece of hardboard to get the feel for it.

round man

+ 1 on the matthews paint,...just started a refurb on about 15 signs we painted 15 years ago for the local university here(Wake Forest). the paint is still good and its hard to get off with a razor scraper when we scrape the old hp vinyl lettering off,...often as not we just barely nick the top layer,..if the contract didn't call for a repaint we could get by being more careful scraping the vinyl off and just install new lettering after cleaning off the old paint,..go figure,...brown paint and that is in the hot sun with very little fading,...most paint would have chaulked and or faded to a dull pink or lt. tan by now

petrosgraphics

when Bank America did their major takeover a few years back, we did over 150 carved HDU
signs for the change over.. mathews had a paint formula specific to their pms colors...
sprayed a lot of signs with this 2 part part paint.. they all still look great!

3dsignpros

Mpc

matthews paint systems are the best if you want to use a 2 part paint. it dries rather quickly and then you can clear coat it. PLUS...out of there 16 gallons of different colors on the mixing station you can mix 60,000 different colors! Using a foam brush is a bit difficult however they do have an additive you can throw in to make it flow together...it just takes several coats

CES020

Matthews, Akzon Nobel both come to mind. Both are excellent at color matching and both are outstanding products. The best of the best, in my opinion.

We use some single part SprayLat from time to time. It does a great job, but I have not painted a HDU sign with it, only metal or acrylics.