Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Best small format UV printer out there?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by Marshal, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    I'm looking for suggestions on the best UV printer on the market to replace our Roland LEF-12. Speed isn't an issue for us, so don't base suggestions on that, we want the absolute best image quality possible, with the widest gamut possible.

I've started looking at the Mimaki UJF6042 Mk ii, but I'm curious if there's a brand I'm missing, or something better out there.

Tags:
  2. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    What are you going to be doing with it specifically? Depending on the application, there might be something more ideal for you. The Mimaki is a good solution in general.

3. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    We do a lot of customized consumer electronics. Sometimes directly on parts, sometimes on our paint and under a clearcoat, and sometimes directly on top of that clearcoat. Many of our clients are extremely picky about the quality of the prints on those products, to the point that they've almost got to be photo quality. It's got to have a print area at least the size of the LEF-12, but preferably bigger with at least 450mm in one of the directions.

4. jriley

jriley Member

Jul 15, 2014
    California
    If you're checking all of the small UV printers out, make sure to look at the VJ-426UF and VJ-626UF. However, I believe they use the same Epson DX7 heads as the Roland, so you're probably looking at similar quality as what you're currently using. I'm not sure if there's small UV printer that boasts higher possible print quality--maybe someone else can chime in on that.

5. zstekovic

zstekovic Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Renton
    Mimaki UJF-3240 FX is awesome little printer (or MKII).
    Had one, but I sold it bundled with my firm in Europe. Software is awesome, and support is really good. It's not really fast (unidirectional), but if you manage your workflow it's really capable machine. Configuration was CMYKWW.