• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best solvent or chemical to remove dried spray paint?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We have a cinder block retaining wall that got graffitied recently. I am planning to pressure wash it and would like to pretreat it to soften or even liquify the dried on spray paint. I hit it with some 3M Vinyl Stripe Remover which has a first ingredient of methyl ethyl ketone and it had no apparent effect. This happened before about six months back and we tried some orange based paint and adhesive remover with no luck.

Does anyone have any better recommendations?

signage

Your best bet is to apply a paint removing gel or paste with fabric strips. The process involves saturating a soft fabric with the gel, then placing it over the brick. Allow the product to stand as long as the manufacturer recommends, then when you peel off the fabric—the paint should peel away too. Then rinse with pressure washer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not just paint it another color ?? If you've been hit twice in 6 months, evidently, someone is out to either make your life miserable or ya just have a nice wall for painting.

Something else you could do.... is to find a local graffiti artist and have him/her paint something on it of your liking. They generally won't mess up their own work. Just no pictures of Trump or Bernie, not at the moment.