• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best tile blanks for dye sublimation

KenAllenStudios

We launched our dye sublimation business May of 2016, expecting to be printing on lots of Chromaluxe aluminum, which we have. We are using the latest Epson F7200 dye sub printer, Epson Multi-purpose transfer paper, and the huge George Knight 931 Triton heat press. The Chromaluxe aluminum prints are all that they say. My photographer and artist clients demand perfect prints, and a large number of them have chosen to use this process versus making pigment ink prints on fine art papers for many of their projects.
But we did not plan on the demand for the variety of materials that we can sublimate onto now including MDF, hardboard, fiberglass plastic, steel dry erase, ceramic and glass tile. Or designer architect clients are loving this stuff. Which brings me to my current issue. We are planning for a fairly large 2,000sf mural on tile, and I have no idea what is the best tile in the sense of quality, availability and consistency. Can anyone out there provide recommendations.

Best,
Ken

Atomic DNA

Ken, you pretty much rattled off all of the available options. We have done a ton of the Chromaluxe panels along with glass tiles from Bison Coatings. It really depends on budget.

The consistency of Chromaluxe is sometimes hit or miss in terms of trash in their top coat. Every once in a while we will run across this issue and the only way that these are viable is if they
are viewed from head on or a few feet away.

Bison glass has been a great product but they are heavy and you risk breaking them as they are glass.

It also depends on the scale of your tiles. Are you wanting many small tiles or a few large tiles to make up the size of the mural?

We did a mural a while back for a hotel and used a combination of both Chromaluxe and glass. It turned out great and the client loved it. It was a mural of a rooster/farm that was broken into 4 20" x 24" panels that were turned vertical and the surround consisted of the 4" x 4" glass tile that the mural transitioned onto. If I can find a picture, I'll post it up. It may give you some ideas.

Atomic DNA

I found the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20140725_163734.jpg
    IMG_20140725_163734.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 272