• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions best tool to install u post (sign post) in the ground

bigben

I'm looking for a tool to install U post (sign post) in the ground. I currently have a post driver like the one in the picture bellow but I have a hard time when there is debris or rock in the ground. I try to suggest concrete block to my customers since they are easy to find locally, but many of them want it in the ground directly.

I'm probably not using the right words in my search on google, because I did not find anything. I'm located in Canada, so if I could buy it here, it would help.

Thank you.

Attachments

• post driver.jpg
    post driver.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 243

jwilde

Depending on how many you are doing we use a variety of techniques. You can buy or rent a two man auger, which works great for clay and hard soil and can be used for a mid-large size project. We also use a Hydrovac company, but this would most likely be for a larger volume project. If you're going through concrete or asphalt you may want to outsource a core-bore company that can wet saw. Finally, a product like this http://www.bushconcreteproducts.com/sign-bases/. Otherwise not much beat the old fashion post driver. It works a lot better if you paint flames on it like we did to ours.

Baz

There are gas powered post drivers available but they are around 1k more or less.
So you need to have some volume going to justify the expense.

We install U posts regularly. Usually 2 to 10 at a time.
We are still using the manual driver like u have.

Might be looking to buy a gas powered unit next spring.

Edit: Just saw the Power Fist unit. Great price however that brand is pretty cheap.
I remember my father buying a Power Fist router and on his first try, broke a plastic button.
He didn't mind since it was just 100.00$ (i think he was trying to save face ... lol!)

bigben

There are gas powered post drivers available but they are around 1k more or less.
So you need to have some volume going to justify the expense.

We install U posts regularly. Usually 2 to 10 at a time.
We are still using the manual driver like u have.

Might be looking to buy a gas powered unit next spring.

What do you think of this one? https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/gasoline-post-driver/A-p8658973e For 500$cnd, it seems a good deal. We do between 100 post per year. At that price, it would pay itself I think. I hate to use the manual one.

rjssigns

I built my post driver out of 3" schedule 40 pipe, 1/2" plate and 1" square tubing. Heavy beast but it get's the job done. If I hit a big rock it will bend or crush the post if I keep going. If I hit a rock I pull the post and move it a foot or so and hope I don't hit another.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You also can rent a skid steer with a t post driver. It will drive a t post through most anything the post is capable of penetrating.

Johnny Best

I usally get the 3' post and drive that down about 2' or so with a sledgehammer and then bolt the longer posts to that with nuts, bolts and washers. They have breakaway sets you can buy also.

ikarasu

Do you have access to us : USA post office box?

For around $200 Canadian you can get a gas powered auger from harbor freight.

We do about 20 signs where we have to dig per summer... So not much. But we were manually digging with a shovel + post hole digger shovel and it was brutal. Took us a day to Put 2-3 signs in, lots of rocks in BC.

I was shopping in America.and saw this... Bought it to try it. One day with 2 guys costs the company $3-400... This was $200. We can now dig a hole in 5-10 mins... It.paid for itself in one day.
It's Not.the sturdiest... I don't know if it'll last 100 posts a year. But even if you have to buy one for 5x the price... You'll save your backs and it'll pay for itself in man hours in no time.

visual800

I'm looking for a tool to install U post (sign post) in the ground. I currently have a post driver like the one in the picture bellow but I have a hard time when there is debris or rock in the ground. I try to suggest concrete block to my customers since they are easy to find locally, but many of them want it in the ground directly.

I'm probably not using the right words in my search on google, because I did not find anything. I'm located in Canada, so if I could buy it here, it would help.

Thank you.

this post driver is a pansy. You need one so damn heavy you can hardly pick it up.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
If you are having problems with rocks then don't get an auger.
They do not handle rocks very well either.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Do you have access to us : USA post office box?

For around $200 Canadian you can get a gas powered auger from harbor freight.

We do about 20 signs where we have to dig per summer... So not much. But we were manually digging with a shovel + post hole digger shovel and it was brutal. Took us a day to Put 2-3 signs in, lots of rocks in BC.

I was shopping in America.and saw this... Bought it to try it. One day with 2 guys costs the company $3-400... This was $200. We can now dig a hole in 5-10 mins... It.paid for itself in one day.
It's Not.the sturdiest... I don't know if it'll last 100 posts a year. But even if you have to buy one for 5x the price... You'll save your backs and it'll pay for itself in man hours in no time.

A one person augur is amazing. We did about 25 single post signs in a half day with two people.