• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best transfer tape for oracal 651 vinyl

jlalasvt

Hi everyone. I have been mass producing a companies decals for almost two years now.. The guy I took the business from was using paper transfer tape, Which I personally cannot stand using or applying with. Even in production it sucks to apply to the substrate in comparison to what I have been using. I have been using AT75 which works awesome! It is much easier to apply to the vinyl before cutting down into singles and it is so pliable that I can still work the wrinkles out if I do make a mistake, (unlike paper transfer) So I ran low on at75 and had to use a medium tack green star clear transfer tape; which is about useless if you ask me, for about 500 pieces about a year ago... Well.. The company I have been doing business with is getting phone calls about 6 months later saying "people are call saying they cant get the vinyl to pull off the backing" Which I know is from the inferior product I used for that small 500 piece portion from 6 months ago.. Bit me in thee *** real hard do to it being a 40-70k per year contract.. Most people say "well at75 is for cast vinyl!' But it honestly works awesome for calendered. It is twice the price as the paper, But I am willing to pay for it. anyway, Any suggestions would be awesome..

Thanks guys..

We use mostly RTape Conform 4075 RLA on 651 cut vinyl and it works very well. However, we also use the AT75 for some limited applications, mostly when we need to roll the decals up for long term storage or shipping purposes. I'm surprised that AT75 is recommended for cast vinyl as it works horrible on even slight compound curved surfaces, from my experience.

Mosh

I have been using Transfer-rite for 26 years, never had a problem....BTW what was the question????

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
+1 Rtape. I really don't think Transfer Tape cares what kind of vinyl you use....use it on cast, cal, etch, digital prints, reflective, etc,. ad nauseam

S'N'S

I only use clear tapes for lining up multi colour graphics and thats the only time I use it as it sucks.
I buy paper app tape (either high or med tack) in what ever my supplier has on special as long as its got RLA as I hate the tape lifting off the backing.
As for wrinkles etc, that just bad squeegee technique.
Also "people are call saying they cant get the vinyl to pull off the backing" maybe use a high tack as most graphics left for any time with clear app tape will need to be re-squeegeed before they try to peel. Bet they are trying to peel the graphic off the backing when it should be done the opposite, peel the backing off with the graphic facing down.

kheebl

I only use clear tapes for lining up multi colour graphics and thats the only time I use it as it sucks. I buy paper app tape (either high or med tack) in what ever my supplier has on special as long as its got RLA as I hate the tape lifting off the backing. As for wrinkles etc, that just bad squeegee technique. Also "people are call saying they cant get the vinyl to pull off the backing" maybe use a high tack as most graphics left for any time with clear app tape will need to be re-squeegeed before they try to peel. Bet they are trying to peel the graphic off the backing when it should be done the opposite, peel the backing off with the graphic facing down.

I do the exact same only use clear for multi color jobs and paper for the rest.

jlalasvt

Thanks for all thee advice guys, I have order 6 different types to send to the customer for sampling. I typically use clear for the customer, I feel that it makes it easier for the customer to see the substrate as they apply the decal. I actually prefer it too. Sometimes it is harder to see through them. ESP. to a novice installer.

LeLuni

While we're on the topic of application tape, has anyone tried Main Tape PreviewPlus GFX100 with Oracal 631 (exhibition matte)?

I know that paper HT55 works great, but I think it would be nice to offer clear tape for interior wall decals.

John

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just saw this thread.... or I would've been in the game sooner.

Reading the title, I figured you had found the best tape for Oracal 651 vinyl.
It's not in the form or a question and no where do you really ask or say anything other than how you operate, which for me sounds a little odd.... as some have posted already.

Why, is someone asking you to clarify, being a 'jacka$$' ?? :help

I'd sooner think if this customer is so big to you, you'd be better prepared and have a handle on your needs/inventory when someone is ordering such an item. To knowingly hand them an inferior product, your words.... is most irresponsible. Perhaps, the other guy only lost because of price.

Just replace the bad ones and do your job right, since you seem to have all the answers. :rolleyes:

jlalasvt

Just saw this thread.... or I would've been in the game sooner.

Reading the title, I figured you had found the best tape for Oracal 651 vinyl.
It's not in the form or a question and no where do you really ask or say anything other than how you operate, which for me sounds a little odd.... as some have posted already.
Why, is someone asking you to clarify, being a 'jacka$$' ?? :help

I'd sooner think if this customer is so big to you, you'd be better prepared and have a handle on your needs/inventory when someone is ordering such an item. To knowingly hand them an inferior product, your words.... is most irresponsible. Perhaps, the other guy only lost because of price.

Just replace the bad ones and do your job right, since you seem to have all the answers. :rolleyes:

First of all, It was the intention of sarcasm behind his comment that was honestly unnecessary, All the other 20 members seemed to use some 5th grade comprehension skills and put it together for themselves. I think anyone could read the body following the title put this together. I Simply just wanted to know if anyone out there was using AT75 and if not; what IS everyone using?. with my experience, You swipe it one good time and pull it right off the backing paper. Which I have never once been able to with paper transfer. You always have to go back and forth,back and forth to catch the corners and edges of the letters. Who honestly wants to deal with that. Esp when the consumer of the product my customer is selling to, Does not know a single thing about applying transfer vinyl. I want to make it as easy as possible for them. Does that make sense?