• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best use for a laminator

netsol

I just realized we have 4 laminators...

And I'm tempted to put dough through one of the really hot ones to see if I get a cooked pita on the other side.

so do we. never had a problem finding a use for it
normally have 2 adjusted for mounting & 2 for laminatinh

I've got to ask... Did you not calculate ROI prior to acquiring the piece of equipment?

I’m curious about the ROI on your laminator. Was it standalone, or as a required piece of the entire business? Other than increasing lam over cost for estimates, do you bill extra for laminating? If so, how and how much?

TAI.

Hehe, good answers here so far.

All jokes aside....to answer your question, in order of frequency:

1. Laminating prints (who knew?)
2. Mounting prints, mostly to ACM
3. Applying premask/application tape
4. As a roll holder when weeding long runs of decals

We have a 12 year old GBC Titan that we use every day, and a 1 year old Mimaki laminator that we got for free when we bought our printer. (Sadly, the brand new one sits in a corner sulking most of the time)

They're definitely overlooked/underappreciated pieces of equipment but are essential for a sign shop.

I wouldn't worry your laminator making you money - they only go along with what the printers are sending their way.

When mounting ACM, do you do something to protect the bottom roller from the sharp edges of the ACM?

Jeremiah

We purchased our Laminator in a package purchase when we bought out another local shop. Prior to that we had several requests for laminating jobs of posters. We now offer poster laminating by the vertical inch of material used and we also have an example of a laminated poster in our display room. We offer Service. We are not a discount shop.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Yeah if you're getting really creative, you could use it as a printing press. I think it would have enough pressure to transfer a linocut print or a etching to a nice rag paper.

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
I’m curious about the ROI on your laminator. Was it standalone, or as a required piece of the entire business? Other than increasing lam over cost for estimates, do you bill extra for laminating? If so, how and how much?

TAI.

It was 100% required for the line of business it relates to. There are many aspects to our business that has nothing to do with laminating.

I do bill extra for laminating. Depending on the product, we did time studies for laminating roll to roll and rigid panels. Those are then added to our cost calculations.

FWIW, I purchased a GBC 3064WF for $800 because the shop didn't know how to diagnose the faulty power supply. Been running perfect ever since.