• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best value 4-36-40" printer

watchdaride

Looking to get into auto graphics . Whats a 36-40 " good printer with out cutter right now on the market . Wont get heavy use in beginning so self cleaning is important . dont want printer/cutter because i heard tracking over 6 ft is not accurate .

rjssigns

Free tip of the day. Start looking at 54" minimum for automotive graphics/wraps. You need a 60" minimum to do vehicle hoods seamlessly.

When I was starting out I wanted to save some coin and go with a smaller rig. Got a 54" package deal for only a few grand more. Best thing ever. No way I could produce the jobs I've been doing with anything smaller.

watchdaride

Free tip of the day. Start looking at 54" minimum for automotive graphics/wraps. You need a 60" minimum to do vehicle hoods seamlessly.

When I was starting out I wanted to save some coin and go with a smaller rig. Got a 54" package deal for only a few grand more. Best thing ever. No way I could produce the jobs I've been doing with anything smaller.

Yes everyone is advising me to do that . But I am a window tinting business just looking to do car graphics and back window perforated vinyl as a add on service . Plus i dont have the space and i already have a graphtec 40" with opos i use to cut window tint. will be doing like the pics below

Attachments

• 2013-Ford-Focus-ST-built-by-MJ-Enterprises-626x382.jpg
    2013-Ford-Focus-ST-built-by-MJ-Enterprises-626x382.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 2014-ford-fiesta-st-by-bojix-design-to-debut-at-sema_100443622_l.jpg
    2014-ford-fiesta-st-by-bojix-design-to-debut-at-sema_100443622_l.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 114

rjssigns

Yes everyone is advising me to do that . But I am a window tinting business just looking to do car graphics and back window perforated vinyl as a add on service . Plus i dont have the space and i already have a graphtec 40" with opos i use to cut window tint. will be doing like the pics below

Ahhh...the bag is off the cat, no? Then bang on. But I don't know of any offerings in that size range. Normally jumps from 30" right to 54" and up. Maybe a used ValueJet? IIRC those are 48"

At any rate if you are looking to add this as a service be aware printing graphics are nothing like running invoices off your DeskJet.

Design software, RIP, laminator for laminating prints etc... That's just the tip of the iceberg. Now you have to find time to design, babysit the equipment do the finishing etc...

Add in inventory, associated carrying costs, more accounting and let's not forget the clients.

Not to downplay window tinting, but it's a commodity based business and folks either want it or they don't. Choices are extremely limited. I know I used to do it.

Doing custom graphics opens up a whole new world of :banghead: and :frustrated:

watchdaride

yes i am very concerned about that . But then again thats why the mark up is so good . I know there is a big learning curve . Arent the newer machine less high maintance than back 5 yrs or so ?

rjssigns

yes i am very concerned about that . But then again thats why the mark up is so good . I know there is a big learning curve . Arent the newer machine less high maintance than back 5 yrs or so ?

My printer is a 6 year old Roland. It's the same as the new ones maintenance wise. Routine cleaning and replace consumables is all I've ever done. Swab around the heads, swab the wipers, put a little cleaning fluid in the cap tops and you're good to go. Wipers a couple times a year. Dampers and cap tops get replaced when they go bad. That's about it.

HP latex pretty much take care of themselves from what I understand. You get a notification that something needs replacing and you do it. Print heads are consumables which can be good or bad depending how you look at it.

Unless you get a lemon they are all pretty good. If you hang out here long enough all kinds of used equipment pops up.

One thing I forgot to mention. You may want to just do the design and sub out the rest. If I was starting over that's the way I'd approach it. Sometimes the "shine" wears off mighty quick then you're stuck trying to unload equipment.

Our printer only gets used for small size, short run, tight deadline jobs. Bulk orders, large pieces, huge banners etc...get subbed out. I realized many years ago that trying to keep everything in house trying to maximize cash flow was actually doing the opposite.

Leverage market expertise and equipment. Nothing more satisfying than designing a job then letting someone else suffer with making a thousand perfect copies. Take that to the bank.:cool:

watchdaride

My printer is a 6 year old Roland. It's the same as the new ones maintenance wise. Routine cleaning and replace consumables is all I've ever done. Swab around the heads, swab the wipers, put a little cleaning fluid in the cap tops and you're good to go. Wipers a couple times a year. Dampers and cap tops get replaced when they go bad. That's about it.

HP latex pretty much take care of themselves from what I understand. You get a notification that something needs replacing and you do it. Print heads are consumables which can be good or bad depending how you look at it.

Unless you get a lemon they are all pretty good. If you hang out here long enough all kinds of used equipment pops up.

One thing I forgot to mention. You may want to just do the design and sub out the rest. If I was starting over that's the way I'd approach it. Sometimes the "shine" wears off mighty quick then you're stuck trying to unload equipment.

Our printer only gets used for small size, short run, tight deadline jobs. Bulk orders, large pieces, huge banners etc...get subbed out. I realized many years ago that trying to keep everything in house trying to maximize cash flow was actually doing the opposite.

Leverage market expertise and equipment. Nothing more satisfying than designing a job then letting someone else suffer with making a thousand perfect copies. Take that to the bank.:cool:

on the roland can you get accurate cutting if you cut around 6 or 7 feet ?

Wensco Mike

Roland Machines are designed for large printing and cutting. Check with your local sign shops, one of them is likely to have a Roland and ask them. I would suggest a 54", for the extra money it will give you more options if your business grows into doing full car wraps. Arlon and 3M are targeting the auto market this year with a bunch of new products designed for the auto market, look it up if you get a chance.

ProColorGraphics

I also strongly suggest a 54" or larger! Trust me, coming from someone who started with a 30" Roland. Once they find out you have a printer, you will get a request for a 4' wide banner. I think it took me 2 weeks. I now run 2 HP Latex printers and love them as they don't really require any maintenance.

You might try to find an old HP L25500. They made those in a 42".

mcgrawdesigns

48" Printer

Hey watchdaride, I just got a new printer at the end of last year and would be interested in selling my old one, it is a Mutoh Valuejet 1204. It is in excellent condition and did everything that I wanted it to do. If you think this is something you might be interested in, let me know.