• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl for HPDesignJet 130?

6stringskinz

Hello all, just joined.

I've got a relatively new home venture, creating custom removable coverings for electric guitars.

You can see some at my site, www.6stringskinz.com

My printer is a cmyk postscript graphic arts thing, not a big plotter, its the HPDesignJet 130. As of today, I'm getting a local sign company to print the coverings and I thought about doing it myself instead.

Does anyone have experience with running any sort of static cling backed, or removable adhesive backed, vinyl thru this printer? If so, which products worked well and which did not? Has anyone tried to run Orajet thru it?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

J Hill Designs

welcome from cali :thumb:

looks like you found a cool niche market - not sure on the 130 printing onto vinyl...cant hurt just to try, tho

6stringskinz

honestly, I'm sort of afraid to "just try"... paper jams in this thing are a certified nightmare. I cant imagine the carnage of a vinyl jam...

Artildawn

I wouldn't recommend using regular vinyl with an inkjet. You'll most likely want a colorfast treated vinyl. Specs for your machine state up to 8 mil. Most colorfast vinyl is around 2-6 mil, so you should be okay there. I've only seen it in rolls, of course I've had no reason to look for it sheets though. You could by always buy a roll and cut to print size.

6stringskinz

thank, i looked into it. Altho the specs for colorfast dont list my printer as an "approved" printer.. if i could find a sheet or two to try it... unfortunately it only comes in rolls. Be tough to spend 200 bucks on a roll only to find it jams the heck out of the printer...

Rooster

Since the printer you're using uses dye based inks they will not "bite" into any vinyl except one that has been treated for use with aqueous inks.

This will really limit your choices.