• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl for humid room

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've been tasked with the query of what vinyl is best for a wall mural in an extremely humid indoor environment. I would assume most any wall wrap vinyl will be fine (Phototex, WallFrog, Wallmark, etc), if installed properly, but I am not sure how extreme humidity would affect it. Perhaps adding a laminate would help keep any moisture out? If that's the case, laminate on standard vinyl would work?

bannertime

I installed some RadGrafix in a room connected to a locker room shower area, last year. I told them to immediately notify me if there was every any lifting. They had wall murals all down the hallways outside the gym area which had parts lifting within months of installation. I don't remember what material it was, but I remember wondering why they used it. They've not said anything about our install.

SignWife

Learning more
In our experience, Phototex, without any laminating material, is a disaster in an humid environment. The ink readily smudges, as though it was fresh from the printer or worse even.
We experimented with a printed border in our bathroom. Smudges and fingerprints galore within weeks.

In our parlour (wallpaper style install), there has been less smudging (except where our daughter was overzealous with dust spray on an abutting shelf surface) but it does lift a bit against the oil based primer in humid weather.

So, to customers, we would recommend a latex primer, and to always use a liquid laminate for longevity.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Would it just be high humidity or actual condensing humidity (Sauna, shower room, etc)? I would say IJ39 with a good non-porous laminate like polyester or tedlar would be a great option for you.

If you are using UV Inks and Water Base inks and many times Latex inks the ink will not smudge using Photo Tex concerning Humidity. If using Eco solvent or solvent inks, then yes we recommend using the Marabu WallArmor liquid lamination to make it water proof.