• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl / printing method for plastic chemical bottles?

meltsner

I am needing to print some chemical description/ratings labels for plastic bottles. They will need to be chemical- and/or acid-resistant (to what degree I don't know but will assume pretty strong).

Would prefer to simply inkjet print on Oracal 3651 and laminate with Oraguard 210 as I do for "most" jobs, but I can't find any information on chemical/acid-resistance for either the vinyl or laminate. Also, not sure if 3651 calendered is best for plastic bottles -- was thinking maybe a polyester vinyl instead but I have no experience printing on that.
Would appreciate any advice.

meltsner

Thanks......strong adhesive, what I was thinking. I just found a sample printed polyester sheet Summa supplied with our DC4, made for "caution"-style labels, and the adhesive is very sticky (probably 3M, didn't even look), perhaps similar to Stouse's. Have not tried applying it yet or looked up the specs.

Does anybody know if there is an eco-sol-printable polyester vinyl, or does it have to be thermal-printed? I don't have any experience with it and haven't done any research on it yet either.

Perhaps 210 laminate may work, so may be the actual vinyl adhesive to worry about. Also just found out it will be more short-term, i.e. used several times and then pitched.

Jillbeans

I just finished a month as a temp in a bleach factory. They just use printed paper labels applied with like an old-fashioned hot glue which melts in a tank. Even for pool shock.
For laundry detergent, they use adhesive backed printed labels, but those bottles were ran through a flame treater. That gets rid of the oils used in the bottle making process.
I melted two bottles one night due to a conveyor belt jam.
:smile:
Love....Jill

LarryB

I like to use Oracal 3105HT material for drum labels or applications with a rough plastic surface. Been using it for a couple years without any issues