Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best vinyl to stick to Gatorboard?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by speedmedia, Dec 14, 2010.

1. speedmedia

speedmedia Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Hey all,
    I have been contracted to do some work for a movie filming locally and have a request from them to do some mock artwork printed and then mounted to gatorboard. I would typically use 3651 or something of the like as that is what I really like to use and we always have. Funny thing is only needs to last a couple of days.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kurt

Tags:
  2. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    You could go with the cheaper 3640 if it's only going to be a few days... but I've seen it shrink up pretty fast under hot lights... I think 3651 is appropriate

3. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    3651 is fine... I usually run around the perimeter with a roller (Speedpress brand) to put a little extra seal on the edges but not too much or it can crush the gator.

4. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    CHeck to make sure they don't need a matte finish.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Wanna play it safe ?? Paint about a two inch band around the entire perimeter of the gator. When dry, apply your vinyl. It will stick to the paint far better then the unpainted gator.

6. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    3651 is the perfect choice.

7. WinGraphics

WinGraphics Member

Dec 18, 2007
    riverside ca
    I like Ultra board better

I switched to Ultra Board. It has a styrene face instead of the paper that Gator has. It also cuts super easy and clean with a razor knife. Glantz and Grimco carry it.