Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best wall wrap vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by OADesign, Jun 18, 2012.

1. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    Hi All,

hope you're all having a great month.

I have a job for a mega client (for us any way) and I want to put my best foot forward on this one.

Its a small wall wrap.
    Now, I have used 3M IJ40 with some success. But on occasion it comes off around the edges. No big deal just go back and touch up, done deal. I have also used 3MIJ180cV3 with the same results and fixes.

For this job I want it to go down nice and I don't want to have to go back for any touch ups.

I was looking at the AVERY MPI2611. But I have never used it before and I am not sure I want to invest in a full roll of this vinyl (and matching lam) it its only going to be marginally better than what I have been using already.

Has anyone used this stuff on a regular basis?
    What lam did you use?
    What was your experience (install, print, longevity)?

Any other suggestions on wall wrap vinyl and lam?

Thanks in advance for your tips

Tags:
  2. Signsforwhile

Signsforwhile Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    Sounds like more of a prep issue.

Also, use 3M primer 94 on the edges before applying the wrap.

3. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Long term for a big client. 3M 180CV3 (laminated) or Phototex.

4. Signsforwhile

Signsforwhile Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    woops just read that its wall wrap!!

5. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We have used the 2611 with great results! it prints beautifully, installs like a dream. It's the only removable wall material I would reccomend besides Photo-tex. Avery sent me a free 24" x 10 yrd sample roll before I bought an entire roll, just ask.

6. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    If it's indoor, we've used ij35 on our walls in our office, and it hasn't lifted 1 bit. Worked really great. Installed good too. We did laminate it though.

7. SummitSignsandmore

SummitSignsandmore Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    The photo Tex is some superb stuff. I have also had great success with the Mactac Roodle..

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    The PhotoTex is the only thing I'd use for a wall "wrap" since you don't have to cut and transfer it. I've never tried to use transfer tape on PhotoTex, but I'd bet it sucks the mother bucket.

9. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I do like phototex, but i don't like how it shows the seams as much as it does.

10. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    Colorado - If I recall: a) you can doublecut your seam to create a butt joint, as a doesn't shrink, and b) I believe they came out with a more opaque solution recently

11. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    Thanks everyone!

I had to pull the trigger on something. So I went with the Avery 2611 and the 1080 lam.

I will report back how it went.

Also looking forward to getting that phototex sample. We'll see how that pans out.

12. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Avery 2611 is also great for short term. We had some sitting in our shop for ages and I just tested it for the first time recently. I took it straight from the printer to the wall with no laminate and it was surprisingly easy to apply, and it matched the texture of the plain painted wall nicely. Plus it comes off clean and easy in one piece without taking any paint with it.

13. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    Avery 2611 and HP PVC Free Wall Paper.

Can't go wrong with either on walls.