• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to clean off prints...

Tony Rome

OK, let me start with I have 2 dogs in my shop and ask that you please refrain from the "dogs don't belong in a shop or "get rid of the dogs" comments.
Thank you in advance if you have enough self-control for that, lol.

I obviously run into my prints getting a hair or two on them.
I have been using a dryer sheet to wipe the prints down, but I don't think that is the best, what do you guys use to clean off prints for dust (hair) right before lamination?
Thanks!

strypguy

I use Swiffer sweeper refills and have never had an issue with any contaminants on my prints since. I lightly dust across the print as it goes through the laminator. John

Tony Rome

Thanks for the responses, do any of you actually have pets in the shop?
I just feel when I run the dryer sheet over, it doesn't always pick it up, sometimes I may just be moving it around.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
They have silicone rollers just for this sort of thing. Quick search found this one but I've seen them much cheaper.

http://www.usi-laminate.com/store/wpbec_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2739&Level1=12&page=4

I'd think dryer sheets would be a very bad idea since the very idea of a dryer sheet is that they are saturated with fabric softener. Sure it smells nice but that is potentially contaminating the print and compromising the adhesive on the laminate. While there are occasionally a couple of dogs around here as well we have not had much of a problem with dust, etc while laminating. I do keep and old t-shirt scrap by the laminator though to wipe off something we might notice when laminating though.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I have a large dog in the shop. After someone suggested in another thread using the Swiffer sheets, I tried them and there has been a big reduction in contaminates.

GVP

Swiffer dusters (the type on a handle) - we get generics from the dollar store. Works like a charm.

vroongraphics

Yes, the handle-type swiffer dusters work like a charm. We use them as the prints go through the laminator. For long prints we take time to clean the surface contaminations off the print before-hand, roll them up and then double-wipe it with the swiffer as it goes through the laminator.

DizzyMarkus

Yes I have a Ferret in shop-- lives mostly in his cage but we do let him roam once a day or so :0)

We also use the swifter dusters (with handle)-- wow what a difference and they last forever.

Markus

rjssigns

Tack rags from an automotive paint shop. Crystal brand. These are specifically made to pick up debris while leaving nothing behind. I refuse to use anything else. Ruining a print is nothing compared to ruining a paint job. Last overall I did paint was $175 a quart and clear coat was $700 a gallon.

gabagoo

Tack rags from an automotive paint shop. Crystal brand. These are specifically made to pick up debris while leaving nothing behind. I refuse to use anything else. Ruining a print is nothing compared to ruining a paint job. Last overall I did paint was $175 a quart and clear coat was $700 a gallon.

this is what i use. I have a Corgi at work and he is a little shedder!!! they work great although I dislike the feeling of the stuff on your hands....sort of like dried honey

rjssigns

this is what i use. I have a Corgi at work and he is a little shedder!!! they work great although I dislike the feeling of the stuff on your hands....sort of like dried honey

Not a big fan of tacky hands, but it beats the alternative. We take the tack cloth out of the wrapper and unfold it completely. Then drop it in a pile on a clean surface in a loose pile. This makes a, well it ain't exactly fluffy, but it makes a large surface area that doesn't stick to humans as much. Learned the trick from an old auto painter.

Tony Rome

Great, I actually have the swiffer duster, so good for me...plus now at least I have something to use it for since I always "forget" to dust the house.

miker

tack cloth for sure. I usually but a paper towel of white glove on when using them, because I can't stand sticky fingers either!

klingsdesigns

This is what we use.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 85

jfiscus

Rap Master
X3 the best thing you can use for a problem like this.