• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to communicate from laptop to PC (file sharing)

WildWestDesigns

I do this but I use Google drive and is $13 a year. Duplicates all files actress every computer it's installed on

I think I would rather stick with the NAS.

The cons that are attached to using a non-local (as in my own network) cloud based solution weigh more in my mind (and it might just be in my mind) then the pros.

WildWestDesigns

Still need WiFi to upload to the net, where my WiFi drops out.

Which on a production computer, I would suggest not having, but that's just me. A lot of IT issues could be handled so simply if production rigs weren't online, but I digress.

Any solution that is presented is always going to be limited by your biggest bottleneck. Which there will always be a bottleneck, just the question is how bad it affects the situation.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Which on a production computer, I would suggest not having, but that's just me. A lot of IT issues could be handled so simply if production rigs weren't online, but I digress.

Any solution that is presented is always going to be limited by your biggest bottleneck. Which there will always be a bottleneck, just the question is how bad it affects the situation.

I use dropbox if my clients want to send me files, no problem, but not from pc to pc. For what ever reason if my internet goes offline, im stuck.

I like my solution using a p2p connection pretty much viewing my whole RIP PC on my laptop with a WiFi connection. My bottle neck is the router, i already know that.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
A wired connection is always going to be faster than WiFi but if you don't want to do that, just get a router that works. If it keeps dropping it could be that your area is saturated with WiFi signals, usually 2.4ghz signals, or even your phone system can interfere with the WiFi. Get a router that has a 2.4ghz band and a 5ghz band. That way you can connect to the 5ghz band which usually will have less interference.

WildWestDesigns

Get a router that has a 2.4ghz band and a 5ghz band. That way you can connect to the 5ghz band which usually will have less interference.

That's what my Ubiquti AP is.

I use dropbox if my clients want to send me files, no problem, but not from pc to pc.

For receiving and transmitting outward, that's fine. Doing things internally, that's where it gets sticky. How you are doing it is the best way in that regard.

For what ever reason if my internet goes offline, im stuck.

And that is a big reason why I don't like using cloud based solutions when the file(s) are making the rounds internally.

Now, I also don't use huge files either, so emailing (which it's going on to the providers server, so in that regard it is cloud based as well) is no biggie. But Ps files can get huge. I'm not a huge Ps user, but even mine can get up to a few hundred MBs.

WildWestDesigns

But with 5ghz band you have to be pretty much line of sight. No good going through walls.

Not really. It's going through wood and brick to get out to where I'm at.

Wireless is going to diminish going through any obstacles as it is. I've actually got stronger signal in areas that were weak with the older wifi.

It will have an affect, but as technology improves, it gets less and less.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Now, I also don't use huge files either, so emailing (which it's going on to the providers server, so in that regard it is cloud based as well) is no biggie. But Ps files can get huge. I'm not a huge Ps user, but even mine can get up to a few hundred MBs.

Depends what im doing, A lot of my glass work, the files can be around a few gigabytes being a TIFF. but usually around 500mb.

I can set up the router to give my laptop only 5GHz. Im pretty sure that i am on the 5GHz bandwith and office is on 2.4.
I can see my router from my chair. just 20m away.

shoresigns

Our computers are all hardwired to one router, and we have a NAS storage drive hardwired in to centrally store all of our files. It's super fast, even for saving large Photoshop files and the like.

Bly

Our computers are all hardwired to one router, and we have a NAS storage drive hardwired in to centrally store all of our files. It's super fast, even for saving large Photoshop files and the like.

Same. All PCs are on a gigabit network hardwired to NAS storage. Super fast and always reliable.

czar2178

Not sure how it's different except using Cloud storage?
Still need WiFi to upload to the net, where my WiFi drops out. So still same issues.
I just use the storage on the RIP PC as it has 2tb of storage.

The difference is unless I read it wrong, if you are working at home and finish up projects all you do is save it to the folder for dropbox or even google drive and when you get to your shop all you do is open that folder the files are there and you are good to go. you don't need to be connected to the same network as long as you have internet you are in business.

WildWestDesigns

you don't need to be connected to the same network as long as you have internet you are in business.

I'm not a fan of cloud based solutions that I can't totally control, but on some NASs, there is integration between dropbox and similar services, so even even that has options.

ikarasu

Lots of picky people!

Of course wired is the best option. But the main use of a laptop is it's portable...And the main use of wifi is so you can stay portable.

Yes, you will get more reliability and speed out of wired, but Wifi is good enough. If your wifi messes up, and you just NEED to get the file sent over.. it's a 2 minute walk to a port where you can plug in and send it that way. So, I don't see the big problem... It's giving you the convenience you need, and if it goes down at the worst moment, you have a backup.

Now onto the question at hand... 1 year for a router is pretty bad. How many people are on your router? Our office/Warehouse has about 30 people, the Wifi is great... But as soon as it hits 12, and theres 20+ phones connecting to wifi, it crashes or goes as slow as possible.

I brought a home router - Plugged it in and set it up as an Repeater. Now while all their phones lose connection... I ALWAYS have a strong good signal for my laptop, which I pretty much do the same thing you do with.

Maybe look at segregating the internet - Have a router setup as a repeater in the warehouse, and one in the office - You're not limited to 1 router. And depending on how many people you have... A consumer grade router might not work. Consumer grade routers are meant for a couple people only. Every person you add halves the bandwidth (Not exactly halves.. but for the sake of this argument, we'll say it halves). Business grade routers generally have AP's with their own hardware that splits the workload.

I suggest buying the router I linked (That you wanted anyays) Set it up in the warehouse, even if it means running a new wire to the warehouse. You can give it it's own Network ID and pass, and just not tell anyone the information. Then you have your own dedicated router that wont have slowdowns from other people, wont have ramleaks (Which most routers seem to) and crash every other week, etc.

That's likely your best option if you want the most reliability out of wifi.

Oroscoe

wired is the better option. But , if you are determined to go wireless then increase your signal strength by putting in a network access point. our shop is 150ft deep and 90 ft wide. We put one in the front and one in the back and have no issues.