• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to cut lots of small coroplast pieces.

bigben

So I have a customer that have over 3000 coroplast pieces to be cut. We did the job for this customer few months ago and cut over 8000 pieces on a zund cutter. Parts are small (38in X 2in) on 4mm coroplast. All the pieces are numbered and he now want me to cut the 3000 remaining pieces 36in X 2in. We have to remove the part where the number is written. So I have to cut all the pieces and re-write the number by hand.

I can make a template/mold so I don't have to remeasure all the time and use a permanent marquer for the number. What would be the most effective way to cut them? Big scissor, guillotine trimmer or sliding mitre saw?

Speedsterbeast

I'd use the sawtrax coro knife to cut along the flutes, then make a jig for the other cut. I have a Grizzly foot shear that cuts like butter. You can line up several pieces and cut them at one time. Or see about ordering them up if time is a factor

bigben

I'd use the sawtrax coro knife to cut along the flutes, then make a jig for the other cut. I have a Grizzly foot shear that cuts like butter. You can line up several pieces and cut them at one time. Or see about ordering them up if time is a factor

My problem is it's a finished product (38inX2in) that I have to cut down to (36inX2in) and rewrite the number on them. Because of the rewrite, I have to cut them one at a time. I don't have a foot shear and don't have the space to have one.

J Hill Designs

My problem is it's a finished product (38inX2in) that I have to cut down to (36inX2in) and rewrite the number on them. Because of the rewrite, I have to cut them one at a time. I don't have a foot shear and don't have the space to have one.

hands will get tired, but just use a 2" jig with a stop block. slide in, cut, number, next

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout a fence on a table saw and just keep feeding them through. Allow for the blade size.

d fleming

What Gino said. stack them 2" tall in as large a quantity as you can handle, use rip fence and 90 degree push to feed the stack through the blade at 2"+ tall. Should be able to make quick work of the cut and be very uniform.

mark galoob

you can use a HD paper cutter from staples. the chopper kind...that should cut the 2" parts very well. it wont handle the strips but you could use a flute cutter to get that...

GypsyGraphics

you can use a HD paper cutter from staples. the chopper kind...that should cut the 2" parts very well. it wont handle the strips but you could use a flute cutter to get that...
did exactly that yesterday... flute cutter to cut my strips... stacked them on the ream cutter... perfecto! i like the ream cutter style because of the clamping feature, keeps even small strips from shifting as the blade comes down.

ams

Using a guillotine shear would work well. Also you could have your substrate supplier make the cuts and delivery to you finished.

sfr table hockey

I would look at a band saw option if you have one.

To cut 3000 down now to that 36" length you could make a small jig to stack 10 to 20 pieces or however high your band saw will let you cut. So basically a jig that lets you line up the stack and slide through using the guide slot in the table and cut just up to your jig.

bjt140

I've run a decent amount of Coro on my laser and it cut well. You could cut them all then while they're flat on the table number them as needed. Do you have access to or a friend with a laser?

bjt140

Laser manufacturers strongly advise no to cut PVC with laser. Isn't coro a PVC product?

You definitely do not want to laser cut anything with PVC in it, not even worth a one time risk. I was worried about this originally too, but after looking into it I found that it doesn't have polyvinyl and is made from polypropylene.