• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to cut vinyl....

Marcee00

for a windshield, I have been doing this for a while but, I have a customer that wants it on their windshield. I can not remember how to cut the vinyl for a curved surface. I did this once for a bowl. Can someone help. The seach function to this site doesn't see to work well...sorry if this is a repeat question I am new to this site. This will also help if there is a difference in cutting a graphis to go around the rounded corner of a vehicle too...
:thankyou:

kbcgraphix

Put a straight edge at the top of the windshield from corner to corner, measure the drop in the windshield in the center. Use that as the amount of curve to put in the graphic. If it is a solid piece of vinyl, add a bleed to both ends and the top.

It should smile at you.

Hope that makes sense

Craig

TheSnowman

We just don't do customers front car windows. If they want something on the back, it's usually a business, if they want something up front...what I want to charge them for the job is usually more than what the car is worth. I've just started sayin' no to some of these guys cause they get too picky, and waste too much time, and don't wanna pay what it's worth for the job.

Hopefully you live in a better area, and it's worth your time.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
He is a good way to do it if you do this type of work.

Cut various arced strips (About 4-6" thick). Start at about a 100" radius and work up from there in 25 or 50 increments. Apply to a banner scrap and hand cut, label and save for future use.

That way when someone comes in and wants this all you have to do is pull out your "measuring arcs" and find the best fit. If in between 2 make your best guess.

Works well.

Sherry2006

I usually dont apply any curve to the image. I do alot of windsheild banners, and everyone that I do I cut it straight so it contours iteslf to the windsheild. (like a sunstrip with tint, you don't curve it because then it looks like a big smiley face driving down the road). but thats just me i guess :p

Sherry2006

wow.... using foaming window cleaner as application fluid? not too sure about that.... and i can see a million ways of getting dirt into the graphic by doing it this way. You'd want to clean the car and ESPECIALLY all the grooves, nooks, and crannies of the body (and door jam) really, really, really good or else your gonna suck dirt in there when you go to position the graphic : )

BobM

Signs101.com > SIGN MAKING • Open to All Members > General Signmaking Topics
Lettering a rearwindshield with curvature

Jillbeans

I measure the windshield so I know how long to make the decal.
I try to use a font that will look OK and not stretch it.
I type in what it says then distort the lettering in Composer as if it's smiling.
I do it by eye.
Luckily I have not had to make one of these in a few years.
Making it straight and slashing the transfer tape (from the bottom) when applying can work as well.
I apply dry.
Love....Jill