• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to deal with seams on multiple face panels across large lighted cabinet?

TimToad

You dislike my post because I suggest the best wrong way to do this sign. I suggested all the correct ways to make the sign. OP doesn't want to nor does the client have the budget. I suggested the best way for him to do it incorrectly. When I say screw the sign panels in I should of mentioned only one screw at the top center of each panel. This still allows for expanding and contracting.

I would strongly suggest screwing them in to the top. I'd rather have a bit of insurance that these are going to stay in place especially the middle three panels blowing out because of some huge gust of wind.

Please also tell me how the heck are you supposed to allow for a 1" expansion from a polycarbonate sign panel when it hast to fit very close to snug inside of the retainers so it holds the sign panels in. Expecially larger panels that tend to sag and bow in the middle. If you allow for a 1" expansion that would be even less of the retainer holding it in on the center of the panel. Just the weight of some larger panels cause the panels to sag in the middle. That is why I like to put a screw at the top center to hold it up in place.

I didn't "dislike" your post, I disagreed with the solutions you were offering. You didn't say to just put one screw in the top center, you said this: "I would also screw the poly to the aluminum box once everything is in place so it doesn't move."

Instead of taking it personally and getting your shorts in a bunch, how about you just focus on the accuracy of the advice you offer?

The way that professional, experienced electric sign companies get past the "how the heck do I do this" dilemma is they build their cabinets and retainers to accommodate hanger bars glued and riveted to the top of the sign faces and the faces are actually suspended above the bottom of the cabinet as well as they use 2" or wider retainers for faces this large. If the size of the panel is large enough to sag enough to possibly pull out past the retainers, it needs hanger bars. If properly fabricated, it is very difficult for sign faces with hanger bars to blow out.

Brandon708

I didn't "dislike" your post, I disagreed with the solutions you were offering. You didn't say to just put one screw in the top center, you said this: "I would also screw the poly to the aluminum box once everything is in place so it doesn't move."

Instead of taking it personally and getting your shorts in a bunch, how about you just focus on the accuracy of the advice you offer?

The way that professional, experienced electric sign companies get past the "how the heck do I do this" dilemma is they build their cabinets and retainers to accommodate hanger bars glued and riveted to the top of the sign faces and the faces are actually suspended above the bottom of the cabinet as well as they use 2" or wider retainers for faces this large. If the size of the panel is large enough to sag enough to possibly pull out past the retainers, it needs hanger bars. If properly fabricated, it is very difficult for sign faces with hanger bars to blow out.
The larger boxes with hanger retainers are the best way to do that. These boxes are usually 5' or taller and not all of them are properly constructed like that and when they aren't thats where the screw comes in.

It was my mistake that I didn't say just a single screw per panel but that was just me thinking it and not fully explaining it.

FatCat

I'm really not sure why/how the sign was made the way it was. It's mounted on the side of the building facing the road and is only about 8' off the ground to the bottom of the cabinet. The depth of the cabinet is 12" and the faces I planned to use were 3/16". There is only grass in front of the sign's location, so if a panel did fall out it is doubtful it would damage anything unless we had a tornado or something of that nature - and of course all bets are off at that point!

With that said, I found a local sign shop who has a press brake and knows how to put a "Z" bend on one side and a regular 90 degree bend on the other to where they pretty much lock together. He assured me they've done this for numerous long signs with multiple panels and hasn't had any issues. With fingers crossed we will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Johnny Best

That sounds like it should work out great for you. No worry of temps dropping and faces srinking one inch all the way around. No need to screw faces and deep enough cabinet so no hot spots. And no need for extra costs on pan faces. Merry Christmas!