Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to finish steel?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ABPGraphics, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ABPGraphics

ABPGraphics Active Member

Nov 13, 2009
    We have a client that came in today. What they are wanting is a big sheet of steel that they can slap magnetics onto. The thing is they want it white and I was told for durability and longevity powder coating would be the best way to go. Anyone have any experience in working with steel? I've looked around and nobody does powder coating locally. How much should I be expecting to pay for white? Would a normal spray paint finish be up to par?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We get our white steel from a local roofing supply company, i'm not sure what they use it for, but it works great and has a very durable finish

3. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    I got some from a company that refurbished large freezer and refrigeration equipment from grocery stores. Powder coating seems to be the accepted method of refinishing replacement panels.

John

4. ABPGraphics

ABPGraphics Active Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Upon further research I found out that powder coating would be rather expensive and most people don't even have a large enough oven to bake anything larger than a 4x4 sheet. Baked Enamel coating is what is best.

5. surf city

surf city Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Toms River, NJ
    try an autobody shop for a baked finish. Or see if there is a railing manufacturer that powdercoats their stuff in house. I know a couple but that's here in jersey.

6. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    Get a sheet of galvanized and just paint it or cover it with vinyl.

7. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    Why not use Signwhite (gloss white colorbond used for signs)? Normal colorbond isn't white and is a flatter finish.
    I buy it off the roll by the meter x 4ft wide, will last for years and magnetics will stick to it.

8. astro8

astro8 Active Member

May 23, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 same thing I was thinking.

9. astro8

astro8 Active Member

May 23, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey S'N'S
    when I was an apprentice I wrote a sign on Signwhite...still with the plastic on it...ahahhahah!!! Did I cop some over that or what, gives some meaning to my signature below.

10. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    You should have said that was just your practice go.
    I seen the same thing happen with a young guy who stuck vinyl all over a signwhite sign blank that he hadn't removed the clear plastic off.:Big Laugh