• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to handle this?....

laserman70

Below is an email i received from a photographer. She is doing some professional racers posters. I designed a graphic for these people of their kids breaking through metal on their quads. They obviously gave her my name, i don't want to upset the people I did the graphics for, but shouldn't the photographer pay me for this?
Thanks

I'm in the process of making a racing poster. Would you be able to send me a high res graphic of the "breaking through the metal?" The one you used on the Shadrons trailer in 2009.

Thank you!

Locals Find!

If the photographer is making money on the job yes. If they just want to use it as an example piece of your work to help upsell work that will actually come your way no.

You need to ask this photographer for more information on the intended usage.

Letterbox Mike

This is no different than you contacting the photographer to use one of her photographs on a project for one of your customers, and she's not going to give it to you. But she will inquire about the intended use and based on that will sell you the rights to use it.

You should do the same.

Billct2

Yes, but you'll probably upset them.
If you want to avoid that in the future make clear your policy on artwork ownership before designing anything.

W

wetgravy

I would charge regardless, any time a file leaves your computer and goes into someone's hands other than your own ... it's a possibility of less work in the future from the same customer. Only time I don't charge is when a customer buys a logo or what not and pays for exclusive rights to the art I created, they get the file anyways with that. If they need it replaced, that is something else entirely.