• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best way to handle this

signguy 55

I have to do a lighted sign, 2' x 12' single faced. The face needs to be a digital print of the business name. I have done all kinds of signs but this will be my first full digital print with a black background on a lighted face.

I'm thinking of using clear lexan and get the print done on translucent and then apply to the clear lexan. (The logo is a black background with yellows and orange for the art and lettering.)

Am I on the right track? One vendor said they could apply a print to the face and then backspray it (I didn't mention to the vendor at that time the colors involved). That kind of makes me nervous about the final product, I think I would rather do the artwork myself and make sure I do it right.

Thanks for any advice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Black is about the oddest of all colors for a background on a backlit illuminated signs.

First of all, it will look black during the day, but at night when lit up, what percentage is going to be black vs. all the other colors ?? Why have an electric sign, if you're going to blacken out all but the copy ??

To me, that's like during the night, turning on one light in a room with a completely black lampshade and then wanting to read next to it.

The second thing is... is it crucial that the black be jet black and still be translucent.... or are they making it opaque black ?? Another brilliant brainstorm.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't get scared, people do it all the time. It's just that in most cases, it doesn't make sense.

Think about it. many years ago, you could see a sign from as far away as you could see in daylight. Come along electricity and they made bulbs and neon pop to catch your attention at a great distance and at night, to boot.

So the main idea is to see a lit up anything from a distance. You can see electric signs from 1/2 mile away under the right circumstances... you just can't read it yet, so to keep your sign in the on-comer's eye.... keep it well lit is my motto.

Nowadays, these smart designers think it's clever to make a backlit not light up anything except the letters..... ahh, they're really called channels, but most people are too cheap to buy them, so they putter out and go for this clever idea of making an electric sign.... really not light up too much. Why not use reflective on a black piece of wood......:Big Laugh

J Hill Designs

Gino, in my city, we cant even make white backgrounds light up any more - if it has a white background component, it must be blocked out at night!

and +1 pat white's solution

J

john1

I would use black vinyl (translucent or just regular black)....with the letters knocked out, then inlay all the color vinyl (translucent).

This method, applied to sign white lexan will give the best results....if I understood your original post correctly.

:thumb:

Craig Sjoquist

Can not see the problem here,
Lexan is a good choice.

What ever way you do the black will work.

In the past all graphics was painted on back last full coat of white. would well over 20 yrs.

Light letter on dark background 10% seen & readable better then reverse, with a light backdrop.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Black should be fine...use blockout vinyl or backspray it. There are hundreds of Harley-Davidson signs done this way and they look great - day or night (although the following isn't the best example).

Attachments

• HD.jpg
    HD.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 60

300mphGraphics

Gino, in my city, we cant even make white backgrounds light up any more - if it has a white background component, it must be blocked out at night!
Our town codes are the same. Our dark skies ordinance was put in place to limit light pollution in our rural community. Personally I love it and appreciate it every time I look over the mountain to Phoenix. You can also tell the signs done by out of town companies that don't know the ordinance. Why the town lets them keep their signs up is beyond me, but that a whole different convo..

signguy 55

I would use black vinyl (translucent or just regular black)....with the letters knocked out, then inlay all the color vinyl (translucent).

This method, applied to sign white lexan will give the best results....if I understood your original post correctly.

Thanks for all the info. I think I've found my solution. Thanks to all.

401Graphics

+1

visual800

Krystals logo is now done this way and it looks great at night and in the daytime. I dont see a problem with it. I would start out with a white face though and then cover all according colors with black and the logo