• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to install these faces?

Doyle

Quoting this job right now for 2 polycarb translucent faces. Approximate size of the face is 5' x 18'. How would one go about installing these?

I am thinking I will need 2 bucket trucks because the faces are so long. Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Photo Mar 11, 4 00 04 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 11, 4 00 04 PM.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 81

J Hill Designs

we have a metal "thing" that was built (it was at the shop from before I came here 10 years ago so I have no idea of it's origin) that will hold a sign face that has a hanger rail that you can then use a bucket to lift it...usually need a guy on a ladder up against the sign to pull the face in

<shrug>

Attachments

• holder.jpg
    holder.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 82

Doyle

Thanks for the replies. The bottom of the sign is easily 15'. I am just not sure that a single person on a ladder and one guy in a bucket can keep control of this thing if a large gust of wind comes through (happens frequently right on Lake Michigan). 18' long is a pretty large sign face to hold on to. I am still leaning towards having 2 buckets at this point.

I might be going overkill but actually I had a mishap on a ladder a couple of weeks ago taking down a sign by myself when a gust of wind caught it. I fell from about 10' and landed on my foot (miraculously not my head) and hurt it pretty bad. I've been limping around for 2 weeks and thinking about all the different ways this particular install could go bad having me thinking I would feel much safer having two people in buckets.

If there were only one bucket, how could one guy hold on to this panel if it doesn't have a hanger bar?

daveb

General Know-it-all
Please forgive me, (I'm probably opening up a can of worms and won't be able to show my face around here for a while) I'm not sure how much experience you have with larger lighted signs but and don't know if you've gotten up there and taken a good look, since you said approx. on the sizes... Just a sneaking suspicion here, are you sure those are poly faces and not flex faces? They can be deceiving. The photo isn't great but those retainers say flex-face to me. Please excuse me if you already know. Now, yes definitely 2 buckets or crane and bucket. Have used two c-clamps and straps to raise with, awful long face maybe two angles, one on each side with c-clamps pinching the face between them and straps to crane. Good luck.

Tony McD

Maybe you could do it off the top of a trailer?
I have installed faces and light bulbs from on top of a beer trailer before.
Gives you a lot of realestate to walk on.

Mainframe

I have a bracket I made that I attach to 2 arms that go under my bucket, here is the front side of it, behind the face is my bucket, I use this to install anything big, it has a piece of angle iron on the bottom for the bracket to slide on & the brackets hold it in, tricky but effective, this set up requires upper body strength! & some nerves of steel for 16 feet long pieces, I use vise grips to "drag" the faces in & out of the boxes. sorry about the pic, it is from an old camera. for the smaller stuff, I just use the arms under the bucket & let the face rest on them & slide them in when I get up there. Keep in mind you have to adjust your height in the bucket as the face goes into the sign as the weight gets lighter as you push it in.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 74

Doyle

Please forgive me, (I'm probably opening up a can of worms and won't be able to show my face around here for a while) I'm not sure how much experience you have with larger lighted signs but and don't know if you've gotten up there and taken a good look, since you said approx. on the sizes... Just a sneaking suspicion here, are you sure those are poly faces and not flex faces? They can be deceiving. The photo isn't great but those retainers say flex-face to me. Please excuse me if you already know. Now, yes definitely 2 buckets or crane and bucket. Have used two c-clamps and straps to raise with, awful long face maybe two angles, one on each side with c-clamps pinching the face between them and straps to crane. Good luck.

You are right in the fact that I have not actually went up and checked them out, but I am 99.9% sure they are not flex faces. From below the sign I can see a little space between the retainer and the face in a couple of places, but I will be checking it out up close tomorrow. I have installed plenty of lighted sign faces, and a couple of fairly large ones, but 18' long by 5' high kind of makes me second guess myself, it is pretty huge by my standards.

Thanks for the suggestions!

jmb474

Just throw a rock at it. That will tell you if its flex face or a poly face. j/k

The best way would certainly be if you have 2 buckets or a crane and a bucket.

sfr table hockey

Just throw a rock at it. That will tell you if its flex face or a poly face. j/k

The best way would certainly be if you have 2 buckets or a crane and a bucket.

Duh.... You should have said start with a small rock and work your way up until you hear it bounce off. If you are hard of hearing...... watch for the crack.......

skyhigh

And why are you "Just Kidding"??? :Big Laugh

But then again, don't you have to go up for an accurate measurement?

2 lift trucks are what you need, and C-clamp vice grips come in handy too. Don't forget a man on a tether line.
Make sure you pick a nice calm day.
Mainframe, I didn't realize you were so close to me. Lets see a pic of that rig.

MikePro

No to ladder, scaffold, or trucktop... osha could hit u with hefty fine. If u have 2 trucks, make em work for u. +1 to maybe flex face.+1 to sliding into retainer through side. Could be either, but survey better first because there's much more labor involved with the former.
Also, upsell some new bulbs while ur at it since it'd be much cheaper for ur client in the long-run to save the cost of service on a separate trip.

Fitch

Why make life hard? If this place is not 24 hrs, leave the face up there and if vinyl, strip, cut back the face, clean with spirits and replace.

Helluva lot easier and quicker overall than removing, taking to shop, (running the risk of breakage) and redoing / reinstalling.

2 guys two sides - should take about 4 hrs per side start to finish max.

Cheers - G

CentralSigns

If its polly then pull the hinges, drop the whole face frame and all, replace with new on ground, pull up new faces re-attach hinges. Thats as easy as it gets.

Letterbox Mike

My vote is that those are flex faces, as well.

Me too, those retainers look huge for a rigid face, they look like flex face retainers.

If it is rigid, I second the C-clamps and crane to lift the face, and a second man in a bucket to guide it in. Done that many times and it works as advertised. On a face this big, we've also had success clamping a long 2x4 to the face as well to help keep it from bowing excessively as it's hoisted. Takes some doing to get that 2x4 off when the sign is in the air, so don't do it unless you're having issues, but that's saved my butt a couple times too...