• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to mount cabinet??

klemgraphics

This is a 3'x8' extending over the sidewalk, they wanted me to re-lamp their existing sign but after looking at it that doesn't seem to be an option. This thing hasn't been lit in years. Best I can tell without getting up in there is that it has the steel supports from the building to the end of the sign built in to the cabinet.

I'm thinking trash everything but the cables, attach the supports to the outside of the can or would it be better to put them on the inside like it is on the old one?

Attachments

• P9300427.JPG
    P9300427.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 118
  • P9300431.JPG
    P9300431.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 115
  • P9300429.JPG
    P9300429.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 86

Mark S. Adams

This is a 3'x8' extending over the sidewalk, they wanted me to re-lamp their existing sign but after looking at it that doesn't seem to be an option. This thing hasn't been lit in years. Best I can tell without getting up in there is that it has the steel supports from the building to the end of the sign built in to the cabinet.

I'm thinking trash everything but the cables, attach the supports to the outside of the can or would it be better to put them on the inside like it is on the old one?

If you are making a new cabinet, then the location of the supporting poles (inside vs. outside) is irrelevant, as they both give the same windload supporting characteristics. As long as the cabinet is attached securely, that is. I would be sure to double-check my supporting means with an engineer though, as windload requirements have probably changed dramatically since this sign was originally installed.

Mark

klemgraphics

why is relamping/new hardware not an option?
I guess it is, just thought it might be frowned upon. the biggest thing that concerns me with that is that there is a steel frame around the inside of the aluminum extrusion that is very rusty, I guess being on the inside it doesn't matter so much though. Might be a lot easier as far as permits go if we just refurb the old can.