Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Best way to paint gewlite trim cap?

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by Robbie Moore, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Robbie Moore

Robbie Moore New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Louisiana
    Should I paint trim cap before we attach to acrylic? Or attach them paint it? Worried about getting paint on the face.

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    uhhh why didnt you just order color you needed?

3. Robbie Moore

Robbie Moore New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Louisiana
    They don’t have this color. It’s a Pantone number match.

4. visual800

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    ok, understood.

the next time this happens, when a customer requires a PMS match for jewelite, you show them the swatch of available colors and tell them to make a choice. Those swatches are their only choice. Jewelite was not made to be painted IMO. I would slowly back out of this situation you are in and tell them you messed up and this product cannot be painted

Now for your dilemma on painting, good luck sir. I would say rattlecan krylon but dont know if that would match your PMS. if I were forced to paint some I would use auto paints, plastic primer with light clearcoat. What you have chosen to do is simply not feasible

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    we paint it all the time due to corporate needing the colours to match, and have found that its best to paint when its already attached to the faces we just mask the face off first, sand the trim then paint with Mathews Sign Paint and have never had a problem with it

• Like Like x 4
  6. visual800

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama

I have to say I am impressed and I stand corrected. I would never have imagined Mathews adhering to vinyl. Is it a task to paint trim cap once its on? I would assume the charge to do this is pretty damn high. What is the longest this has lasted outside? Do you prime at all? Just asking

7. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Matthews makes a great paint system, but you can't do it half way, so it's not great unless you use it a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robbie Moore

Robbie Moore New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Louisiana
    Thank you. I talked to Mathews they suggest the flex additive. We will give this a shot.

9. Bradley D

Bradley D New Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Texas
    Sorry to jump in but will the flex additive work to paint perforated vinyl? I'm trying to figure out how to paint a white perforated vinyl a pantone color and then apply it over the face of the sign.

10. Robbie Moore

Robbie Moore New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Louisiana
    Hey, How about print the perf? I wouldn't paint it.

• Like Like x 1