• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to remove adhesive from emblems

MatthewTimothy

Was wondering if some of you know a good way to remove the adhesive tape from emblems off a vehicle. I've always done a plastic scrapper and goof off but there has to be an easier way!! Any good first hand experience?

ThinkRight

A heat gun will help.
Lighter fluid works good,and will not melt plastic like goof-off.
Wd-40 will get off adhesive also

artbot

when i have exhausted all possibilities, butyl cellosolve. soak the spot really good (it has no solvent in it). it gets inside of the adhesive and turns it into rubber non-stick boogers. just rub and roll them off.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not recommended by the Surgeon General or OSHA but around most mechanic's shops gasoline seems to be the universal cleaner for all things sticky.

wayne k
guam usa

tsgstl

heat gun and a lil chisler to get the thick part off
then some rapide tac and the lil chisler some more

tsgstl

I've been doing that but a few chips of paint came off

Be Honest now.....
Did you use a screw driver or a putty knife to first remove the emblem?
Most likely that is the cause of your chips not a plastic tool and a orange based adhesive remover.

WildWestDesigns

Be Honest now.....
Did you use a screw driver or a putty knife to first remove the emblem?
Most likely that is the cause of your chips not a plastic tool and a orange based adhesive remover.

Heat gun to warm it up and then a fishing line to cut thru the adhesive. After that goof off.

Sometimes you have to worry about the alignment pins (at least on the F-350 fender badging).

That's what I did to remove the stock badges off before I put custom badges for the farm on the DRW.

MatthewTimothy

No I used actual plastic trim tools. I heated the spot with a heat gun and used a lil chisel to try and get the adhesive off. Than I used a towel and applied goo gone to get most of it off. Still have the adhesive left from the Titan emblems so I will be ordering some chemicals and a stripping wheel in the morning

Mosh

Goof Off? Are you serious? Try 3M ADHESIVE REMOVER!!!! Designed by 3M to....you guessed it, REMOVE ADHESIVE!!!! Goof Off is for removing stickers from gifts so you can re-gift them, not commercial adhesive.

Any NAPA or automotive paint place carries it. Still not a magic bullet and required elbow grease, but 10,000 times faster than Goof Off!!!

WildWestDesigns

Goof Off? Are you serious? Try 3M ADHESIVE REMOVER!!!! Designed by 3M to....you guessed it, REMOVE ADHESIVE!!!! Goof Off is for removing stickers from gifts so you can re-gift them, not commercial adhesive.

I wish the original badges had commercial grade adhesive, but they really are that weak. Cleaned up really nice. Now you are right the ones that are on the a/m badges, hard pressed to get goo gone to work, but for factory badges it does work.

I'm sorry, I had originally meant goo gone, not goof off.

Mosh

goo gone, goof off...? All that hippie citris stuff doesn't work like some good ol' hard core petro based chemicals...and the 3M stuff smellls better anyways! AND you can make cool fire tricks with it as well...but that is another story....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've used vinyl off and it works on both vinyl and the adhesive left behind.
But not as fast as Shell V-Power
(Shell V-Power high performance fuel contains powerful cleaning technology. By helping to prevent the build up of deposits on the engine’s inlet valves – and helping to remove those left behind by other fuels – the cleaning components can enhance everyday driving performance and responsiveness.)

wayne k
guam usa

Mosh

I use the 3M wheel and they work AWESOME! But you will need the 3M remover to clean up all the "graphic dust" it leaves behind. I use mind on an air drill, works great. Also the MBX tool is the same, don't have one but hear they are great.