• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to remove full vinyl windows

hickeyink

I have about 6 windows to remove full prints from, already done 3, have a few more after the 6. have done it the standard way, scraper, then clean glue with turps. the windows are 3000mm x 1400mm. theres got to be an easier way, heat gun, too slow, scraper and turps too dirty. Im thinking of hiring one of those industrial space heaters, heating the windows, then removing the vinyl (easily hopefully). anyone got any better ideas? please share.

Jillbeans

Ooh I wouldn't do that.
I never use a heat gun on glass, I wouldn't want to crack it.
Maybe one of those big lamps like auto body shops use?
I'd try a single-edged razor blade in a holder, then Rapid Remover for any glue residue.
Love....Jill

John Butto

No turps & no heat

After you take off the vinyl spray on Sprayway Glass Cleaner and use one of the wide razor blade that you can get at Home Depot and the residue comes right off with ease.

Impact Image

Welcome.

In my limited experience the ease at which the vinyl comes off is directly proportionate to the quality of vinyl that was applied. My only issue with heating it it that you can completely separate the vinyl from the adhesive and leave yourself a bigger mess than you had. Don't forget to change your blades in the scraper often.

signage

Get one of these scrapers and use either Rapid remover or glass cleaner to keep the glass lubricated so as not to scratch!

Attachments

• razor scraper.jpg
    razor scraper.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 150

Pat Whatley

As Si Allen explained to me years ago the fastest and easiest way to remove paint or vinyl from windows is to use a hammer.

SignaramaFL

I normally just peal the vinyl off, and then use Goo Gone to get any residue off. It breaks it down almost immediately and fairly clean. But you do have to wipe it down decently when your done, with alcohol because it does leave an oily residue. Oh and also use a single edge blade (window scraper as we call them)

Fitch

+ 1 for Pat.

Alternative:

You never know what medium is on there. Could be high quality stock... could be $hit.

It also depends on the area (location), time of year, heat, humidity etc.

I would:

1) Lightly take a razor blade and cut through vinyl, only JUST touching glass. Do this far left and far right. Start with say a 1-2 inch strip. Increase with the ease - up to whatever strip is manageable - this might be 6 inches.

2) On the left - lift with razor, fold back onto itself and peel down. If good stock, will peel - with glue and leave glass clean as.

3) On the right - heat with low heat heat gun and do the same - lift with razor, fold back onto itself and peel down.

4) Both will give you an idea of what is going to work. One way will leave glue, the other wont. Good vinyls generally hold their glue - cheap leaves the glue behind.

5) Once determined what is working - as in removing vinyl AND glue, soften any remaining glue with turps. Soak a rag, and "whisk" in patches, soaking and leave on for at least 2 minutes. Scrape glue off and wipe onto a terry cloth. Once again soak, and once again scrape. Once this is done, soak a clean terry, and wipe excess, absorbing into the terry. By now, should by extremely streaky. Spray pre wash laundry spray and leave for a few minutes. Clean with a clean cloth. You are now ready to do final clean with a normal glass cleaner. If still streaky - add some white / metylated spirits to the glass cleaner to add some "oomph".

6) Remember: let the solvents do the work - not you. Human efforts with NEVER dissolve glue - you have to break it down chemically and structurally step by step. Time is all that is needed, and if done right - will work in your favour and actually save time in the long run.

Cheers- G

Webby

Wall paper steamer works better, quicker and cleaner. And not just windows. Give it a try and you will never use anything else.

njshorts

As Si Allen explained to me years ago the fastest and easiest way to remove paint or vinyl from windows is to use a hammer.

This, unless the customer complains... they're so freaking touchy...

Get one of these scrapers and use either Rapid remover or glass cleaner to keep the glass lubricated so as not to scratch!

this is what we do, with rapid remover... or screen cleaner. believe it or not, rhino screen cleaner works better, faster, with less of the spray.

LavelleSign

lightly heat the glass, ive done this for the past ten years ive never cracked or broken glass. verticly slice the vinyl down to the bottom dividing it into sections, 18" to 24" sections. I had to remove 3 conference rooms lined with etched glass vinyl got it done before the day was out with one other person. also heat while you peel thats important, and i usually use invisible glass and a safety razor to remove the glue after.

Turfa

It's a bit late now...guess the job is already done...but here is another suggestion.

If the graphics on the window are just single layer of film eg. unlaminated print or etched glass film. Try using a soapy water solution.

Mix up a detergent & water mix similar to what you would use for a wet application. perhaps a little more detergent. Spray the graphics to get them thoroughly wet. Then lay some thin plastic film over the wet surface. Any thin flexible plastic will do, I've often used the smooth side of bubble wrap. The film should cling to the wet surface. Smooth it out & push out any big air bubbles. The plastic film is to stop the water from drying off. Leave the graphics for at least one hour, but ideally 2 or 3 hours. The water will penetrate the film & help the adhesive release from the glass. Remove the plastic from the graphics & you should find that the film will then peel away cleanly from the window without a huge amount of effort.

Try it......

Bly

Wet down with soapy water and go at it with a big scraper.
The water stops scratching and the adhesive simply drops to the floor once scraped.